THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B

Big Green Horn

Im contemplating buying a used large Kamado Joe off Craigslist but apparently it has a hair line fracture in the dome. Do y'all who know about ceramic smokers think this will affect the ability to hold temperaturesook properly? Apparently it also comes with a replacement dome (I have no idea how easy or hard it is to replace the dome).

Lastly, do you think I should just buy the original, BGE instead of "substitutes"?

Thanks for the help - going to look at it Saturday so need help stat!

I don't own a ceramic cooker but from all I've read about them, I don't think that fracture will affect anything. It's nice that it's coming with a replacement dome. As far as getting the BGE instead, it all depends on what kind of deal you are getting for this kamado joe. I've seen a ceramic knockoff at Sam's recently, it was $499, but it looked poorly made. I also happened to see a cypress ceramic cooker tonight at Lowe's. It was $699 and was much better in terms of quality compared to the Sam's cooker, perhaps on par to the BGE.

I thought most of the non BGE ceramic cookers had this problem? I thought they were all thinner and made with inferior materials.

I think it comes down to price and risk.
All ceramics are going to fail at some point.
If you are in atlanta i would go to the eggfest, grab a demo and have the lifetime warranty.
jon

Im getting it (Large Kamado Joe) for $500, with a replacement dome and a stand. 2-3 yrs old. Are the demos at the Eggfest a good deal?

It seems the seller has probably used the warranty to get a new dome. If you buy this I would bet the warranty does not transfer to you and if something else cracks you will have to replace it out of pocket.

Replacing the dome is a one wrench two beer type of job, though. Real easy

Try and negotiate down flash him 4 bills and see if he can resist.

Back