Cast Iron Grate for Weber 22.5"

expatpig

is Blowin Smoke!
I'm contemplating a purchase of a cast iron grate for my performer, has anyone had any experience with these, good or bad, worth it or save my money? I like the chicken holders that you can get also. www.cast-iron-grate.com

When I got my Weber Performer a month or so ago, I got the Weber System grate, with the cast iron insert that goes in the center. I love the way the cast iron sears a steak. But I wish I had known about the cast iron grates you mention at the time. The Weber System insert is small, and can only do 3 ribeyes at a time. We're a family of 4, so guess who gets to eat last! LOL. MY first night with the new grill, we invited 3 friends over for ribeyes. With 7 steaks to sear, it was a kind of a pain.

I know some folks here have those grates, perhaps they'll chime in. If it were up to me, I'd say go for it!

expatpig, I have the exact system you mention. It works great once it's seasoned well. I highly recommend it.

I just got the cast iron grate last week. The build quality is very good Only one cook so far, but I like it a lot. Great sear marks on steaks. The removable sections make it easy to tend the coals. I got the griddle too but haven't used it yet.

I got mine from Amazon last year, but they look like they are the same. I absolutely love them! Keep them well oiled, I use a pair of tongs and a folded paper towel dipped in veggy oil. Oil them before and after you cook and they will stay seasoned.

I also add hardwood chunks to my charcoal bed to get a good fire going to burn off any residue from the previous cook. Good stuff!

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

I have had these CI grates on my performer for a little over 2 years and would echo everything Saiko just said. These are hard to beat for searing veggies, grilling steaks, chops, burgers. Keep em clean, oiled and out of the rain:thumb:

I have the Craycort CIG for my 26.75 and the Weber system for my Performer. I recommend the Weber system for the performer because it gives you access to the coals over the burner. It also doesn't rust as easily as the craycort. The Craycort is really nice for the 26.75 because the inserts are big enough that you can fit a lit chimney of charcoal in the one slot without removing the entire grate. I'm pretty sure that's not possible with the 22.5.

I think I actually like the Weber system better with the caviat that hunterman mentioned. If yo are consistently cooking for more than 4 people, it's not really big enough to get a CI sear on everything. However it comes with a thicker wire grate to support the weight of the cast iron and that gives a much better sear than the stock grate in it's own right.

imagewpem.jpg

By hogsfan at 2011-01-09

Here is a picture to give you an idea of scale, but keep in mind those are HUGE bone-in ribeyes that were close to 20 oz each. I'll often build the fire in the middle under the sear grate and cook potatoes around the outside.

I won a Craycourt setup for my 22 1/2" kettle in a giveaway sponsored by Craycort and Nibble Me This in December. Thanks again to Chris and Rolf.

Sad to say, but I haven't done any grilling since then, save some lamb kebabs. Only ribs and shoulder. Was going to set it up this past week, but we've had a cold spell and today, snow in Northern VA.

Plan on installing it soon and look forward to some grilling.

I have the Craycort 18.5" grates for my Big Green Egg and a set of the 14.5" ones that I use with a spider rig.

I've used the 18.5" grates for over a year about 3-5 times a week and they rock.
DSC_0185resized.jpg

DSC_0309resized.jpg

I'm builing a UDS style out of a 120 gallon propane tank right now. The tank is 30" in diameter, wish I could find some cast iron grates that big, I would jump on em in a heartbeat.

Back