How much meat can I get on WSM?

Shotgun smokers

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just bought a WSM 22.5 and I was curious to see how much meat I could fit on there. I am planning on doing a big smoke this weekend at the coast and I have all the meat purchased, I just need to have an idea about how many times Im going to do it. Is it realistic to fit two butts and 2 briskets on there? The briskets are both 12 lbs and the pork butts are about 7 lbs. Tell me what you all think. Thanks!

It kind of depends on how creative you are.
I have 18.5 WSMs, and when I have a big cook, I have gotten 6 butts to a WSM. You might be able to fit a but and brisket on each rack.

I have the 22.5 WSM and you can get both butts and briskets on it. I would put 1 butt and 1 brisket on each rack. Put the briskets on one side of rack and butts on the other side that way your brisket drips on the other brisket on lower rack.

I know how much meat you can get on a MM 3000, which is roughly 7 - 8 miles from you.

barbefunkoramaque said:
I know how much meat you can get on a MM 3000, which is roughly 7 - 8 miles from you.
You want to go to the coast this weekend for a helping hand? ;)

Easy to get at least 6 butts on my 18.5 - I think the brisket will be a little tricky though. Unless you combine brisket and butts on each level which could work...Probably one butt and one brisket per level.

I just bought a WSM 22.5 and I was curious to see how much meat I could fit on there. I am planning on doing a big smoke this weekend at the coast and I have all the meat purchased, I just need to have an idea about how many times Im going to do it. Is it realistic to fit two butts and 2 briskets on there? The briskets are both 12 lbs and the pork butts are about 7 lbs. Tell me what you all think. Thanks!

I can't imagine you will have any issue at all because on an 18.5" WSM you can easily do one brisket (top shelf) and two butts (bottom shelf). A 22" is substantially more space.

You will EASILY fit 2 butts and 2 packers on a WSM 22.5.

I would put one of each on each grate.

Agreed, 2 butts and 2 briskets will be fine which I have done many times. I would recommend putting a butt and brisket on each rack for better air flow. If you put both briskets on 1 rack, you will have very limited airflow which will effect your temps. If you don't have enough space for the air to flow, you will have a tough time getting the temp up.

Agreed, 2 butts and 2 briskets will be fine which I have done many times. I would recommend putting a butt and brisket on each rack for better air flow. If you put both briskets on 1 rack, you will have very limited airflow which will effect your temps. If you don't have enough space for the air to flow, you will have a tough time getting the temp up.

I also like to put some foil under the briskets where the ends run up to the edge. I do this to keep the ends from burning because the heat from the fire will be blasting upward. The technique works great for me.

Back