Virgin journey went OK but butt did not pull. Why?

azfireman

Got Wood.
Reaction score
My virgin journey went OK chicken fell off the bone, the bone in country style ribs were good but the BUTT. The butt was tough and did not pull. It was a small 3lb butt and I did not get my Taylor thermometer to check the internal temps. So I smoked it for 4.5 to 5 hrs and stuck it in the cooler for an hour. It has good flavor but just tough. I was unable to pull it. What went wrong? How can I correct this? I will post the pics tomorrow. The temps I used were from 210 to 250 using pecan. Also what temps and time do you recommend for baby back ribs in a Bandera? Also, any special technique?

Thanks,
Frank the tank

My virgin journey went OK chicken fell off the bone, the bone in country style ribs were good but the BUTT. The butt was tough and did not pull. It was a small 3lb butt and I did not get my Taylor thermometer to check the internal temps. So I smoked it for 4.5 to 5 hrs and stuck it in the cooler for an hour. It has good flavor but just tough. I was unable to pull it. What went wrong? How can I correct this? I will post the pics tomorrow. The temps I used were from 210 to 250 using pecan. Also what temps and time do you recommend for baby back ribs in a Bandera? Also, any special technique?

Thanks,
Frank the tank

You answered your own question about what went wrong - you did not get your thermometer to check internal temps.

It needed to be 195 - 210 or so internal, and it would have pulled beautifully.

It's all about the temps, not the times except with ribs.

Last edited:
You didnt cook the butt long enough. Lots of conective tissue in one of those. If I have a 10 lb butt roast, it can take 15-20 hrs at 210-225.
Thats if no foil was used.

Last edited:
Yep. What those guys said. Temp Temp Temp.
Better luck next time.

There you go. I agree with the fine gentlemen above.

I ususually foil at 165 and then take the internal temp to 195 or so. It will continue to climb in temp a good 5 degrees while in the foil, in the cooler. Let it slowly come back down to 165 then pull.

I dont pay a lot of attention to times. Just temps.

Now you need to fire the cooker back up and give it another try.
Good luck on round 2. I'm sure it will all turn out great.

When cooking at home, I just use a pair of tongs to tell if it is done. If I can pick it up, and it doesn't fall apart it isn't done.

Don't give up now, it just gets better.

If pulling don't work, try yanking. If yanking don't work, try putting one end in a vise and viciously attack it with a pitch fork. Or, like they said, more cooking.

Usually, my butts fall apart taking them out of the cook chamber.

Yep... what they have all said. Gotta get to that magic 195 to pull that bad boy. Also, next time try a bigger butt. I like them much better than the small ones.

Same as above Temp, Temp. Temp. 195 is when I pull my butts from the smoker. If you do not have a thermometer a good way to test is pull the blade bone, if it pulls clean the butt is done, if it does not start to pull out easily then then more time is required.

I won't say it again (temp that is) dooohhhh....I did it anyway:mrgreen:

Better luck next time!

Congrats on the chicken though. Next time stick a prober in that butt and taker her out at 200. She'll fall apart in your hands.

As previously mentioned, The meat will be done when it gets done. You can not tell it to cook in a few hours, it will do its thing and then take a nap, then cok some more.

Also, be careful that you don't get the temp probe too close to the bone when you put it in the meat. I've made that mistake before and pulled some tough Q that wasn't quite ready yet. :sad:

:-D I dont think its the temp:-D

IF you dont have thermometer give the bone a pull. If it slide out you should me golden. As for the want that didnt pull throw it in a chipper and you have nice shredded pork. You also have tooth pick to go with it.

Back