Kamado/Egg brisket point

GreenDrake

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
OK guys, I am going to give my Kamado Joe a workout tomorrow and try a big point I scored at the local butcher. I have a nice 8lb point, trimmed and rubbed down...going to set the Kamado at 225/250...anything different I need to know on these cookers? I have competed with pellets and offset but this is my first try at doing a point on the kamado. The goal is burnt end sammiches for tomorrow night.

Same methodology? Wrap at 160, cut and chop at 195 and two more hours in foil and sauce? Any advice is appreciated, just a fun cook, looking for other ideas.

Sounds good to me! You going to chop the whole thing? Don't forget a few wood chunks.

That sounds like a plan to me also.

Yep, I have some mesquite soaking right now so I get some good, long smoke flavor out of it. going to chop the whole thing. I figure why the heck not right? Just haven't done one on the kamado yet and didn't know if I was missing anything in my process. Drip tray or no?

I would use a drip tray to keep the juices from making a mess on your heat deflector (assuming you have the KJ heat deflector) & unwanted odors from the burning juices. Personally, I've stopped foiling my points as I think I get a better bark without foiling it and with the fat content in the point it doesn't dry out in my BGE. I've foiled them before and they come out fine but the bark doesn't seem as pronounced for me.

I have avoided mesquite on long smokes since it is so strong. If you're using it, I'm assuming you've used it before on long smokes & you're ok with it.

She's sitting cozy right now, pit temp at 230 and leveled out, probes in, steady stream of beautiful loveliness coming from the daisywheel...it's a beautiful thing. Time to head back to the couch for a nap and just let that brisket enjoy the outdoor sauna.

Yeah, I thought since I am doing burnt ends, I am just going to leave it be without foil. She's sitting at 145 right now IT and 222 on the pit. Just right.

Back