BGE Owners who use the stainless steel chimney cap

Iv'e had one for about a year now.
Pro's
I like the fact that it's a rain hat.
Con"s
After using a daisy wheel for years there is a learning curve in temperature control.
Shut down takes longer unless you get Smokewares Flat Cap in addition to their Stainless cap.

I've had mine for a year or a year and a half.

I love mine. I think it looks better than the cast iron one, it functions much better in the rain, and the settings don't change unless you want them too.

The only issue I have is it doesn't get quite as hot when I am trying to make pizza with the cap on. That being said I think BGE should just ship all of their eggs with the stainless cap.

Love mine as well. Got PO'ed that the cast iron started rusting after a month or so on the egg so I replaced it with this and haven't looked back. I agree that it can restrict air flow making it harder to do pizza or other high temp cooks. So when I do those I just take the hat part off and run the top fully open.

I saw those a while back, but decided that the cap that came with it serves my purpose just fine. I don't have any problem losing the adjustment when I open and close it due to the way I line the screws up. It wasn't broken, so I didn't fix it. When it rains, I just use my charcoal starter for a lid.

Got one, works great, take off for high heat cooks.
I always found the cast one had a tendency to almost fall off the top when tilting the dome.

I love mine. Rain hat is a plus. Installed about 2 years ago. I lost the rubber cover that goes over the opening adjustment tab, but I use tongs to move it now. Too hot near the opening anyway.

I have one and really like it It does trap the grease/smoke and prob needs to be occassionally cleaned Have not used the daisy wheel since I got it

Its great...
My caveat is that the hat drips back on to the dome so you need to wipe the top down every so often.

I hated the cast iron one, in my opinion, it was broke when it came, as it never held the setting I had it at once the lid had opened. The stainless one is the best thing added to the BGE's that I use.

I hated the cast iron one, in my opinion, it was broke when it came, as it never held the setting I had it at once the lid had opened. The stainless one is the best thing added to the BGE's that I use.

It's all about how you position the CI cap, it should never slide or close when you open the lid.

Personally, I'd never spend money on this SS cap.

Not my eggs, however, Smokejumper spoke to several dealers and there were no answers, other than buy a new cast iron cap, problem was, both of his eggs lost the settings when the lid was open. No matter, each of us cooks differently, I like the stainless steel cap, which I also didn't pay for.

Not my eggs, however, Smokejumper spoke to several dealers and there were no answers, other than buy a new cast iron cap, problem was, both of his eggs lost the settings when the lid was open. No matter, each of us cooks differently, I like the stainless steel cap, which I also didn't pay for.

That's puzzling, because it you position the screw at 6:00 (when looking at the open cap), and the heaviest part of the daisy wheel away from you, I don't know how could possible could move...it's gravity at work.

then it closes, and I have to open it up to where I had it. It's a quibble, to be sure.

That's user error. It will hold the setting. I can teach you.

;)

if you set your daisy wheel like this, it won't "flop" or "adjust" on you when you open the egg....

notice the two screws on the wheel. they line up from the front of the egg to the back of the egg.

f67b09c5.jpg

and open....

07d2ffde.jpg

That's puzzling, because it you position the screw at 6:00 (when looking at the open cap), and the heaviest part of the daisy wheel away from you, I don't know how could possible could move...it's gravity at work.

A lot of folks dont know this. I personally have never hd a problem with the DFMT. I works just fine for me and never considered the SS cap. The pic above shows the proper placement of the screw; which maintain settings.

Back