Cedar Plank Cooking

Qczar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Going to try for the first time, cooking a wild Coho on a plank over my grill tomorrow night. Any experiance here in getting it done? Soak the wood? Temps? Marinading? Any help wood be appriciated.

Soak the wood for about half an hour. I mix rice wine vinegar with a little brown sugar or honey and brush on. Remember, skin side down, then hit it with a little cayenne, some salt and coarse ground black pepper.

Cedar planked salmon rocks!!!!!

I'm sure you will get about three million different ideas, hang on!

I like to not overdo it... I put salt and pepper and a touch of cayenne, then a layer of muscavado sugar, so Joe and I pretty much agree here, it seems. I've soaked for different amounts of time, and find that it doesn't seem to really matter. I put the plank on the grill, then brush it with canola oil before putting the fish on it.

i soak the wood for about 45-60 mins, then spray it with pam.

For the fish, i pat it dry with a paper towel, then brush it heavy with Saucy Susan(peach/apricot glaze) on both sides(do the wood too) and sprinkle some lemon pepper on it and cook till its just startig to get flakey.

a few seconds under a hot broiler works well to carmelize the glaze when done.

Dumb question.....do you pre-heat the plank or just do it all at once?

jpw23 said:
Dumb question.....do you pre-heat the plank or just do it all at once?
Just put the fish on the plank, and put it on the grill.

Even with indirect heat, are the planks single use only. Ive done them a couple times (Lowes sells a two paxcck for around 9 bucks) and wound up pretty much charring the chit out odf the bottom side. Had to get the fire hot in order to get the fish done without a klot of milkyness. Is this normal?

no preheating..

the wet plank will char heavily on the bottom and sides. The smoke rises thru the plank and thru the fish. anypart of the plank in contact with the fish will stay intact, all else will be black.

3 answers in one minute.

are we on top of chit or what?? :)

Yep, I wont preheat anymore either. The directions that came with planks said to heat one side, flip it over , put the fillet on the heated side and there ya go. i soaked mine in some apple juice watered down. thanks for the info.

Would it help to marinade the planks in Dr Pepper! (Laughed my arse off reading that ole post Poopah!)

BBQchef33 said:
no preheating..

the wet plank will char heavily on the bottom and sides. The smoke rises thru the plank and thru the fish. anypart of the plank in contact with the fish will stay intact, all else will be black.

So, getting the grill smoking hot is not necessary? (sounds like too hot it just burns?) Maybe just warm when the pank hits the grill? Should the burners be on high, med? This peice of fish looks nice (besides, I plan on being hungry), I don`t want to fark it up.

i preheat the grill, but not the plank and cook it on high at the beginning withthe lid closed. Then down to medium as it cooks thru. I think it helps control the amount of smoke. Once it starts cooking thru, lowering the heat slows down the smoke so you dont get to much.

and no way beerguy... save the Dr Pepper for marinading the dog. ;)

This has been interesting......got something new to try this weekend...if weather permits.

bbqjoe said:
Weather smeather, bring the grill in the house if it rains!

I tried that once.......the OL still brings it up from time to time, jeez...burn the carpet just once and you hear about it the rest of your life!!!:biggrin:

jpw23 said:
I tried that once.......the OL still brings it up from time to time, jeez...burn the carpet just once and you hear about it the rest of your life!!!:biggrin:

ain't that the farking truth.:-D

Do you serve it on or off the plank? I have heard of folks serving it both ways.

i serve it on the plank. Put some foil underneath the plank before you rest it on anything.. Its heavily charred and will wreck a tablecloth in seconds.

BBQchef33 said:
i serve it on the plank. Put some foil underneath the plank before you rest it on anything.. Its heavily charred and will wreck a tablecloth in seconds.
Table cloth? I haven't seen a table cloth in years.

Back