How much meat to bring

deez20

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A friend of mine called me the other day asking about the Sayville competition 10/24-10/26 and we got to talking about possible competing. Neither of us has ever done a comp before, heck I didn't even know that he had a smoker but were contemplating joining. We were discussing costs and were unsure what we would need for meat. How much does everyone usually bring for a competition? We don't have a lot of space, I have a WSM, a large BGE coming for my 30th birthday next week and my friend said he has a small smoker, not sure what though. My friend also mentioned the possibility of getting a drum to make a UDS. I was thinking 2-3 butts/briskets, 3-6 racks of ribs and some thighs does this sound about right?

Last edited:
I don't know when Sayvile is but I would suggest you practice once to get the timing down and learn what your capacity is. Then bring as much as your capacity will allow. Keep in mind that you can select the best parts of butts, briskets and even ribs, but you will need to submit whole thighs. So maybe bring a lot more thighs than you expect to turn in.

Then again, what do I know?

2butts is usually lots. I do 3 briskets, 3 slabs spares and chicken. Now I use to do 20+ thighs but now have it down pretty good so do just 10. I have the big stuff off by 9 am so lots of room.

We bring 2 butts, 1 packer, 4 racks and about 12 thighs, but we are somewhat limited on space, 1 WSM for everything except ribs. My teammate does the ribs on his offset.

I bring 1 butt, 1 brisket, 1 rack of ribs and 6 chicken thighs.

Then I cook extra for me, 1 butt, 1 brisket, 2 more racks of ribs and 4 more chicken thighs.:biggrin:

We practice just like a comp, (ie we have a fake turn-in time and we cook to be completed at that time). We use 2 butts, 2 briskets, 3 racks ribs, and about 20ish thighs.

laughing at Mayor....I was reading and the thought was dayum, talk about extreme confidence.....but, then reading your second line, it made a lot more sense.....afterall, where does all the extra go? Since, we tend to set up a little out of the way most places, we dont get the mad dash of sample city.....
Too much meat can confuse, but, too little can put in no room for the OH SH** scenario.......
But, now that I know how much Ford brings to comps I know where I am going after turn in's :biggrin:......well, and before turn in's....since his breakfeast is unreal as well....

2 butts, 1 brisket, 4 ribs (only 8 center bones), 14 thighs (KCBS) or 4 halves (IBCA)

No expert here (yet)...bit I plan to bring 1 butt, 1 brisket, 3 ribs, and 12 thighs. I'm doing the butts, brisket, and ribs on the WSM's and the thighs on the kettle. I've pretty much got the butts and brisket down to a science...I'm still workin' on the ribs and chicken (which is why I bring more). :p

2 butts, 2 briskets, 6 slabs (I only cook 4 but bring the extra in case of shinners), and about 30 pieces of chicken...

Last comp I was hard pressed to came up with 9 thighs out of 30 that looked the same (I always put 8 in a box)... and I did up an extra 2 butts for customers back home.

Two butts, four racks and watch multiple legs.

As for meat I bring two briskets, two butts, thighs and two whole chickens.

I simply load the USD and the ProQ with the same meat and use the best from the two.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess if we decide to join we would be fine with 2 butts, 2 brisket, 4 racks of ribs and 15-20 thighs. I forgot my father in law has a kettle we could probably borrow if need be.

2 butts, 2 briskets, 6 slabs (I only cook 4 but bring the extra in case of shinners), and about 30 pieces of chicken...

Last comp I was hard pressed to came up with 9 thighs out of 30 that looked the same (I always put 8 in a box)... and I did up an extra 2 butts for customers back home.

Can you explain why you always put eight pieces of chicken in? And how do you make them all fit? Maybe our thighs are on the large side, but we struggle to get 6 pieces in each container without completely smashing them in.

I forgot my father in law has a kettle we could probably borrow if need be.

Borrow the kettle to be safe. If you can haul it, I would bring it. It is always nice to have a spare cooker around.

Back