Butts from Mixon's New Book...

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
ButtTeaser2.jpg

I picked up Myron Mixon's new book "Everyday Barbecue" earlier this week. I decided to try out his technique for "Pork Shoulder the Easy Way" for dinner tonight.

This technique includes a brine that is made of apple juice, white vinegar, brown sugar and salt. I also made a recipe of his rub and sauce from this book to try out. Just for good practice, I'm also using a little peach wood for smoke...

These are just about ready to come off the grill...

Lookin' forward to tasting them!

Yours will be better than Myron's, he doesn't cook on a kamado joe :D

Look great!

Looks good JM
What's your opinion on the book? I bought the last one and enjoyed it.

In my honest opinion, this book should have come first :) I have experimented with several recipes out of the original "Smokin'" book and wasn't very impressed. It is geared towards the competition scene. This new book appears to be just what it says... "Everyday Barbecue." Myron discusses in the beginning of this book how it is geared towards those of us who just wanna cook at home for friends and family, which is what I'm all about. There are some good lookin' recipes in the book for sure...

What temps does he recommend in the new book?
jon

In this recipe he recommends 300° which is what I cooked these at. I have cooked at 300° quite a few times before with excellent results.

Just curious, how well can a pork brine work?

I have no idea. I have never tried it before. The recipe recommends at least an hour and overnight if possible. Mine went overnight for about 7 or 8 hours.

Just Ordered the Book

I just ordered the book as well. Haven't received it yet but looking forward to it. I have the first one "Smokin with Myron Mixon" etc.. Was pretty good.

Not to change the subject, but I liked your Smash Burger review. Did your buddy ever decide to sell some of the custom burger presses? If so, I would be interested.

Looks good JM. :thumb: I'll look forward to the results and your opinions.

Just curious, how well can a pork brine work?

Pretty well imho. I've brined a shoulder according to Alton Brown's recipe a couple of times and was happy with the results. People also commonly brine chops.

I just ordered the book as well. Haven't received it yet but looking forward to it. I have the first one "Smokin with Myron Mixon" etc.. Was pretty good.

Not to change the subject, but I liked your Smash Burger review. Did your buddy ever decide to sell some of the custom burger presses? If so, I would be interested.

Meyer Metal Works... meyermetalworks.com on the web. He's a Brethren but I don't remember what his user name is. I sent him email recently to ask about prices on his custom grills but never got a response so I'm not sure where he is on that at the moment.

In this recipe he recommends 300° which is what I cooked these at. I have cooked at 300° quite a few times before with excellent results.

That is the temp we cook all our BBQ at and IMHO the best temp for everything. Just cooks meats faster, allows them to render properly and you can have any meat done in 8 hrs with it.

Looks great. Glad I don't have to clean that pan!

The pan cleaned up rather easily... I filled it with hot water as soon as I dumped the grease and took the meat out. I added a little soap and let it soak for an hour and it all just washed out after that...

Very nice butts. Let us know the end results.

End results:

Overall Taste: 7 out of 10
Brine/Marinade: 4 out of 10
Rub: 8 out of 10
Sauce: 3 out of 10
Tenderness/texture/Moistness: 8 out of 10

The sauce recipe in the book is obviously one he just coughed up and has never tried. It was a recipe for approximately 3 cups of sauce and it was way too thick for my liking... i had to thin it out with about 6 ounces of beer... the flavor of the sauce was not great, but it was ok.

What I took away from this experiment was that cooking butts in a pan is probably going to be part of my normal regimen now. As I probed the meat when it was about done, I got more consistent temperature readings throughout the meat. I believe it cooked more evenly this way.

I don't see the brine/marinade bringing a lot to the flavor, texture, or consistency of the meat.

Back