Is 26" too big?

gharriger

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to call the machine shop to have the steel for my new pit rolled. I'm buying a full sheet of 3/8" plate which is 48" wide so I will stick with that for the smoke chamber width. What is the ideal diameter? I was planning on about 26" but am open to suggestions. I can go all the way up to about 29" with the amount of steel I have but that seems excessive. This is my first offset pit and will mostly be used in the backyard with occasional groups of up to 30 or so providing I can figure out how to cook on this thing. I will probably mount it on a trailer or at a minimum, some heavy pneumatic tires. Any thoughts before I call in my order?

Hey Brother... Pits can go up to 36" and more... You do find though that with these wider pits it's better to have access doors on both sides.

But for yours I'm thinking that anywhere from 22"-26" is good for a pit that's about 4 feet long & If having a 24" diameter will save you some steel to go towards the firebox that would be a benefit IMO. Would love to see pics of this when it materializes btw... Don't forget! :wink::wink:

Cheers

I'm getting ready to call the machine shop to have the steel for my new pit rolled. I'm buying a full sheet of 3/8" plate which is 48" wide so I will stick with that for the smoke chamber width. What is the ideal diameter? I was planning on about 26" but am open to suggestions. I can go all the way up to about 29" with the amount of steel I have but that seems excessive. This is my first offset pit and will mostly be used in the backyard with occasional groups of up to 30 or so providing I can figure out how to cook on this thing. I will probably mount it on a trailer or at a minimum, some heavy pneumatic tires. Any thoughts before I call in my order?
3/8 is so dang heavy that you are probably going to HAVE to mount it on a trailer if you want it to ever move from where you are building it. That sucka is gonna be HEAVY... won't have to worry about someone just grabbin it under their arm and running off with it for sure.

If you've got the steel and can go to 29", just do it. More space is never a bad thing. With a 29" diameter pit you will have no trouble rigging up 2 shelves, maybe even 3. It will be a bit heavier yes, but it will already be a beast... as Bluehawg said.

Just a suggestion why don't you see if ya can order some steel pipe in the diameter you want its probably available.

Is 26" too big? That depends on if you want a second shelf or not. If you want a second shelf, go with the 29".
Are you planning on a reverse flow setup or standard flow?

I am in the process of putting together a Jambo clone and I am going with 26". That is what Jaime uses on his pits.

Don't worry..I'll post pics for sure so all you experts can critique my build as it progresses.

3/8 is so dang heavy that you are probably going to HAVE to mount it on a trailer if you want it to ever move from where you are building it. That sucka is gonna be HEAVY... won't have to worry about someone just grabbin it under their arm and running off with it for sure.

But heavy is good right? Especially in the cooler climate up in Oregon. The extra mass should help hold the heat a little better right? Correct me if I'm wrong, I wanna get this right the first time. Thanks!

Just a suggestion why don't you see if ya can order some steel pipe in the diameter you want its probably available.

Yeah , I thought that would save me some money too so I looked into it... The only pipe I could find in my area was about $150 more money than what I'm paying even with the cost of having it rolled. I've been looking for a couple months for a tank that would be suitable and have had no luck. Thanks for the idea though!

Use 1/4" plate instead. It's not that cold down there, bro.

You're right, it's not that cold....just colder than the southern states where most of the brethren do their cooking. The cost difference is not significa t enough to let that influence my decision on thickness so is there some other reason I should go thinner? I'm really not worried about the extra weight..I'll mount it on a trailer if I need to, mobility would be nice anyway. Will the extra mass of the 3/8" not provide more steady temps? Thanks and keep the input coming!

Show me one commercial pit builer that does it. Klose, Jambo, Lang? Nope.

But heavy is good right? Especially in the cooler climate up in Oregon. The extra mass should help hold the heat a little better right? Correct me if I'm wrong, I wanna get this right the first time. Thanks!
No, not a problem with the 3/8" if you can afford it. I personally wouldn't use the 3/8" for a cook chamber cause 1/4" or 3/16" is cheaper but then again, if it is free go for it. Not sure how much of a benefit the extra steel would be as I haven't had the experience of cooking in EXTREME cold you guys have up there. Gets down in the 30's around here and we think that is REAL cold. LOL

My Klose mobile pit is 30 inches in diameter by 8 ft long. It also has an upright.
The entire pit is 3/8" inch thick steel.
Once up to temp I add one piece of firewood every hour or hour and a half.
The thicker steel definately helps hold even tems.
Rain or 45-50 mph winds is a different story.
If I ordered another Klose mobile pit, definately would be 3/8" thick main chamber.

My Klose mobile pit is 30 inches in diameter by 8 ft long. It also has an upright.
The entire pit is 3/8" inch thick steel.
Once up to temp I add one piece of firewood every hour or hour and a half.
The thicker steel definately helps hold even tems.
Rain or 45-50 mph winds is a different story.
If I ordered another Klose mobile pit, definately would be 3/8" thick main chamber.

Mike, I'd love to see pics of that monster! My friend's 1/4" Klose weighs 8,000 pounds. How much does yours weigh? What kind of truck do you move it with?

Show me one commercial pit builer that does it. Klose, Jambo, Lang? Nope.

Yeah, you're right about that..I guess those guys know what they're doing huh! I was just not sure if they used 1/4 to keep the cost down or because it is actually the best material.

Yeah, you're right about that..I guess those guys know what they're doing huh! I was just not sure if they used 1/4 to keep the cost down or because it is actually the best material.

Do you have a truck that can tow 4-6 tons?

DSC_0265.JPG

DSC_0334.JPG

Last edited:
Oregon I see, where is the invite to help break this bad boy in?

It really doesn't get that cold in Oregon but depending on location wind can be an issue. If the cost difference is minimal and weight isn't an issue I see no reason not too, but don't think you'd have any problems with 1/4" either.

Do you have a truck that can tow 4-6 tons?

DSC_0265.JPG

DSC_0334.JPG

My main cook chamber is only gonna be 4' long, I think I could pull that with my accord....Seriously tho, this is gonna be a fairly small backyard pit so having enough truck to pull it is not even a consideration.

My main cook chamber is only gonna be 4' long, I think I could pull that with my accord....Seriously tho, this is gonna be a fairly small backyard pit so having enough truck to pull it is not even a consideration.

Okay, in that case I would go with 1 inch plate. :becky:

Back