BBQ Brethren "Feast of the Hobo - Something Cooked from the Can" Throwdown!

Why did the chum salmon cross the road?

seattle_times_chum.jpg

Hey, I thought that was Southern Smoker. What happened? :confused:

May have to make a run to the store today and enter my first throwdown here.

Sorry it took so long to post, but I asked my friend to explain this to me. It appears that you cannot actually purchase these things. It appears to be a fraud. Sorry guys. Here is the correspondence:

Dear Gora,

For sure it was made up. The label on the can simply says it is a cooked
fish with some vegetable oil, which is ready to eat. I used to eat such a
canned fish a lot when I was a student. And, never, saw anything like that.
It could be an expired can, so, something else started to grow inside. :)

> Hi Zhenya,
> Saw this posted on my favorite BBQ website and wondering if it was
> real. I figured you could translate it for me. Do you know this brand?
> It sure is scary.
> Gora

Cheers,
Zhenya.

You gotta admit, it was good for a laugh, I still think it could be a salmon.

jay-nicholas-hen-vs-buck-9.jpg

Despite my friend's response, I wouldn't put it past someone to slip a fish-head into a can. Heck, you're out in the middle of the ocean canning fish for a few months at a time, bored out of your mind. Why not, just for a joke. I agree that it does resemble a salmon head as you say, but I would expect a much less desirable fish to inhabit these cans. I did sample a few of these Russian brands in past years and what I had was not salmon. I believe salmon is desirable enough that it would be separated, and if canned, at least labeled as such. Of course, who knows. Fark, I can't believe there aren't any ichthyologists on this forum who could give us a definite answer. Farkin' ichthyologist lurkers. I know you're reading this! :tsk:

Actually, my brother does lurk here and he is a fish biologist. Based on his expertise, I feel confident in saying without actually talking to him, that the can could actually contain the partial remains of a spawning Chum Salmon, which would actually not be very good tasting and would have a less than salmon-like texture and flavor. This would be because of the decay that the fish is actually undergoing.

I should probably ask him, but, he is younger than I am so I feel confident that I can speak for him.

DSC_0006_1548.jpg

Yes... it exists. Coming this weekend... to a thread near YOU!:shock:

Canned Chinese Soy PORK RIBS!

Be afraid.... be absolutely SH!T SCARED... 'cause I sure AM! :faint2:

Cheers!

Bill

Actually, my brother does lurk here and he is a fish biologist. Based on his expertise, I feel confident in saying without actually talking to him, that the can could actually contain the partial remains of a spawning Chum Salmon, which would actually not be very good tasting and would have a less than salmon-like texture and flavor. This would be because of the decay that the fish is actually undergoing.

I should probably ask him, but, he is younger than I am so I feel confident that I can speak for him.

So no one here can "shut you the fark up" and yet your brother doesn't utter a sound???? bizarre.

Back