Freeze a Rib Roast??

deerslayer8153

Knows what a fatty is.
Does anyone freeze rib roasts (fresh ones)? Do they taste as good after defrosting and cooking?

Saw some on sale yesterday but I don't have plans for family or company coming over anytime soon.

We do it all the time - I am a big fan of buying that stuff on sale and filling the freezer. We usually cut them into one bone "steaks" - that will feed 2 people.
Just make sure you wrap them well - if you have a vacu-sealer all the better, don't put them in the freezer in the same packaging you get it from the store in.

Now go get busy!!!!

I just smoked one yesterday that had been frozen. Came out great. I vac seal, never had any problems. Stock up that freezer :thumb:.

What LMAJ and campdude said... I do it every year when they go on sale around the holidays. :thumb:

So how long have you kept it in the freezer and it still turned out good? If you don't have a vacu-sealer how long will it last in the freezer before it is affected?

So how long have you kept it in the freezer and it still turned out good? If you don't have a vacu-sealer how long will it last in the freezer before it is affected?
It's certainly going to depend on how well it's wrapped - air= bad.
If I didn't have a vacu-sealer, I would go with multiple layers of plastic wrap, followed by a layer of heavy duty foil. Don't just toss it in a zip-top freezer bag and call it a day.
I have kept beef in the deep freeze for many months - and up to a year with no issues (one of the problems with a big feeezer is that stuff gets to the bottom... )
Nothing is as good as fresh - but I have NEVER been disappointed with a roast I have frozen. Take some time to freez it right and you will be rewarded.

I agree with all. A vacu sealer works wonders. If you do not have one at least take it out of the store packaging, wrap it up with plastic wrap and then put in a freezer grade zip lock storage bag. Be sure and take out as much air as possible before finishing the seal. I would use within two months at the most.

I always try to buy a couple on sale after Christmas. You can get them for half price or so around here. I freeze them and then cook them later. They are always good :thumb:

What everyone else is saying. Just picked up a couple pork shoulders for 1.77lb at sams club this week. Two went on the smoker yesterday afternoon and the others are in the basement freezer for the next time we have guests coming over. Go for it and do get a vacu sealer unit though. I have also frozen cooked briskets and warmed them back up later on.

One thing to keep in mind is your freezer a frost-free or not. In a frost-free freezer it goes through a defrost cycle to keep the ice out of the freezer. This is what causes freezer burn in improperly wrapped food. If you don't have a vacuum sealer, IMO I would try to use the meat in a few months.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I really am not a fan of meat that has been frozen. Freezing does affect the tissues. In all honesty, yes, you can tell the difference. Depending on what you're doing with it, it can be very noticeable. I once threw away some nice porterhouse steaks because I was told it would be fine to freeze them. The texture just was not right. For other things it is not so noticeable. Stew meat or pork butt I find to be ok frozen. Personally, I would not freeze a rib roast, but I would put that in the steak category.

Back