UDS charcoal basket procedures

S

Smokin' Shawn

Do you dump some lit charcoal in the bottom of the basket then fill it up, or do you fill the basket first and light the top? I do it the second way, but I got to thinking about it, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something here.

Shawn, do the "minion" method....w/ a coffee can. Cut out both ends, put in basket lay coals, and wood around can...put 1 chimmney of lit coals in can, pull out can,....
Walla!!... I actually stole this idea from "Smokin Gator!" LOL!

I usually fill the basket, then make an indent in the center of the charcoal and put about 12-15 hot coals in the indent.

I usually fill the basket, then make an indent in the center of the charcoal and put about 12-15 hot coals in the indent.

Ditto, that works for me, but i'd like to hear other ideas....

DSC02826.jpg

I fill the basket and use a torch, lighting one spot dead center. Takes about 3 minutes.

I don't make the indent, but just pour on about 15 lit coals.

Either the new guy from Ohio has a good sense of humor or will actually learn how to Q. But who knows, he probably douses the MatchLight bag in Charcoal fluid to get it started.
As for Smokin Shawn go with Thirdeye's method or OSD.
I don't think you need a whole chimney to get a UDS up to temp fast.
I use Thirdeye's method and once about 4 or 5 coals on top are going turn off the weed burner. Like he said about 3 minutes.

DSC02826.jpg

I fill the basket and use a torch, lighting one spot dead center. Takes about 3 minutes.

Thanks all. This is the same method that I use. I was just checking to see how it was done else where. My neighbor who has a large BDS does it the same way with the same type of flame thrower! Man I like setting stuff a'flame!

I think there are pics on the Pretty good bbq thread with him using it, and there was lighter fluid too.

I was putting my lit coals in a hole in the center of my unlit coals but I was getting a lot of unburned briquettes on the outside edges. I started putting my lit coals in a hole on one side and letting it burn across the basket and it seems to work better for me.

I'm almost out of cherry believe it or not so I'm saving a few chunks for a comp next weekend to smoke my ribs over. The guy that i'm cooking the silverside with the basket above really likes the pecan so I wont shake him up with the cherry. lol

1. Depending on the length of the cook, fill appropriate basket.

100_1717.jpg

2. Remove vent plugs.

3. Hit with weed torch until top layer starts to ash over. @ 3-4 minutes

100_1718.jpg

4. Add smoke wood.

5. Set cook grate in place.

6. Let temp rise to @250*, place meat on rack, close lid and plug 2 vents, temps will stabilize to 225* and rock steady!

100_1893.jpg

100_1895.jpg

NO RANCHER IN MY DRUMS!!

I fire up the WSM's pretty much the same way with the torch, watch my temps rise, add the meats and ratchet down the vents and they rock on too!
Its still a MM firing, you just have to be ready to go with it.

Back