SRF Kurobuta Short Ribs

Diesel Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Well Thursday a box of awesomeness arrived at my door. It contained some of these Kurobuta Short Ribs :becky:

They went right into the fridge to thaw for lunch today.

So here we go with the cook and review of these really nice meaty ribs

And here's a side meat shot, nice!!

Lightly rubbed 4 of them with Simply Marvelous Pecan

The other 4 were simple salt and pepper.

And into the preheated Shirley for some smoke and to keep the brisket for dinner company

I'll check them in about an hour when I probe the brisket and update this through out the cook.

Thanks for looking and stay tuned :thumb:

Come on there's plenty and they won't be done for a while.
The more the merrier

So, are these from the first 4 ribs of a hog, sectioned? They look very meaty?

They do look like they are, but I think Shane needs to answer that.
Meaty is an understatement for these things

Nice ribs! I'm not sure that I have seen pork short ribs before.

Me neither, but hey sure are nice

Those are some sexy ribs. They sure looker bigger than 1/2lb each

:dancer: They do seem bigger too DUB

Since they're so short I can't do the bend test, so I just probed them.
Getting close, and dang it, the juices were squirting out when I pulled the probe out :tsk: What a waste of great flavor:drama:

You can learn to cook by feel and ignore the probe, it takes time and lots of cooks

Actually, since you mentioned it in the beef rib thread and your brisket thread, I've been trying to feel after I probe. that way I can learn the "feeling" of where the meat is at.

You may not think I pay attention Sensei, but you've taught me a lot :hail:

Thanks Ray!
Neither have I, and these are cooking nicely, almost 5 hours in now and 1/2 of them are done. the other 4 are getting real close, but won't give up the ghost

These are running no wrap and the pits holding steady @ 265f

Those are spareribs. I've purchased some like that locally. Lots of meat, so they are cut the same as beef short ribs. Definitely a different flavor than regular spareribs, milder.

Thanks Dads :thumb: What you said was spot on

Here we are resting for a few after coming out of the Shirley

Now a shot after cutting the rack in half

Gratuitous fork shot of the top meat

Now for my review:
Tasty tasty tasty!! A very good mild flavor as Dads mentioned. Tender and juicy and make your tongue smack off the back of your neck good.
The meat was kind of in 3 layers, the top which was a nice solid but tender piece, the center which was melt in your mouth tender, and the bone meat which was also very tender and sweet flavored.

All in all I consider this some of the best pork I've ever had. The salt and pepper one was awesome as was the Pecan rubbed. But these ribs have just enough fat to glaze themselves and taste wonderful with no need for any additional flavors.

Thanks for looking in and if you get the chance order you some of these from Snake River Farms HERE I'll be ordering them again for sure

That looks great, still, looks like an odd little cut. I want to try them

Back