Temp in UDS better but get spikes

Hozman

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Well thanks to all who got me on the right track for temp controll on UDS. Only went with half chimney today and been siting between 235-242 for the past 5 hrs. Much better than 270+.

I am getting spikes though up to 260-270 for about 30 minutes then goes right back to where it was. Is this from the chunks I have layered in the basket lighting off?

Also better to go with dry chunks or soak them a bit?

I will post pics when done.

that is good news that the temps. are alot better. My thoughts would agree with yours that the small periodic spikes are possibly the wood chunks igniting and once they get to embers the temp drops back down. I don't soak mine because it just causes them to smolder instead of burn cleanly.

It's quite possible the wood chunks are igniting and raising your temps. but could wind gusts have anything to do w/it? I don't soak wood chunks either.

270+ is a good cooking temp, roll with it. Stop worrying about the high temp. You get more sleep, and the blood pressure stays lower.

A temp spike is like 350-400. What you're getting is just a bit of cooking love. Roll with it and enjoy the faster cook times.

Yes the chunks could do it but also excess grease dripping, especially if you are turning the meat, could be a a little to blame.
Dave

Back