Brethren Only Competition?

I agree. I think Guard units tend to come back en masse, though, don't they?

Be really cool if this can be coordinated.

Multi locations, multi states........ Here in NY, We have a national guard HQ right by the local airport.

Great idea, Phil! A nationwide BBQ Brethren event! Damn, we would rock!

Hello America! Let us introduce you to some farkin' Atomic Buffalo turds, dino turds and smokin fatties!

Jeff_in_KC said:
Wayne, the only problem I see with that would be that units come back at different times. How would we decide when to hold the event without offending someone who's loved one was coming home later? But I do think you're onto something there.

I'd suggest checking with your local armory and finding out when they drill, and if it would be possible to set up and cook for the troops and their families after approx. 1800 hrs. Ask for the 1st Sgt. or Ops officer.

We SoCals have enough trouble trying to find a location and time to meet and drink. Do you really think we could include the difficult task of competitiion type cooking at the same time. But an interesting idea still in all.

Here is a thought. The weekend of the bash, there is a cookoff as someone mentioned before in midstate Illinois. I met the guy that hosts this this weekend. He has unlimited space to set up. basically 200 acres. I asked him about site size, and he said, "how much ya want, twenty acres?".

We could have our bash there next year, with as many brethren teams competing as possible. We could have a big central area for us all to hang out in, with individual kitchens around the outside.

I know the mofos would be have no problem getting their stuff there, but teams from further away, maybe we could scrounge enough gear for them.

Something worth pondering anyway.

So, who's going to judge? :twisted:

Sounds like a plan - if enough guys show interest why not see about getting it sanctioned? Getting sponsors shouldn't be that big of a deal and established teams are used to paying the fees.

Prize money would be nice but not essential for a "fun cook" type thing - but I'd be looking at, what, 3000 mile round trip. Maybe Kingfisher or another cooker manufacturer would be interested in providing cookers.

Just a couple of thoughts to muddy the water! :D

So, who's going to judge?
He already has that stuff set up. This is a competition that is already going on. They are doing the big 4 already, I think he is working on it being KCBS. I told him to join up with us. If he does, we can ask him all about it.

I just had another thought (dangerous, eh? Two in one day!):

We've got a couple of reps/promoters (Jim & Arlie that I know of) - maybe they could give you/us some guidance on making this thing happen and turn into a tru "braggin' rights" event.

I can get you guidelines for sanctioning if you want and would be willing to help if I can.

Greg, that's an awesome idea... I knew if we tossed around ideas long enough, something would come up that would be feasible! Twenty acres of Brethren! I'd be up for that! It might be that we'd need to combine some teams. My team members aren't on the site and might not have the interest that I do.... but hey, at least this is a great start... combining bash and a contest. Let me know if I can help in any way!

Im in..... Logistics are easy, Buy 3 smokey mountains at walmart, run to costco for meat, and make a supermarket run for supplies.

After turnin, Wash down the smokey mountains Then raffle them off to the teams for 10-20 bucks a ticket depending on how many teams there are. :twisted: Get some back that way.

BBQchef33 said:
Im in..... Logistics are easy, Buy 3 smokey mountains at walmart, run to costco for meat, and make a supermarket run for supplies.

After turnin, Wash down the smokey mountains Then raffle them off to the teams for 10-20 bucks a ticket depending on how many teams there are. :twisted: Get some back that way.

Ball peen hammer and the sales receipt and I would get all the money back

willkat98 said:
BBQchef33 said:

Ball peen hammer and the sales receipt and I would get all the money back

We'd better be Q'ing through a hailstorm though, eh Bill?

I'm in for one of the south dakota fo's. to do contests in southdakota you have to travel. so I am in.

Scott d

If this is for next year it sounds like fun. As long as you set the date a few months in advance so people can let their bosses know they have a "brother" getting married and need that weekend off to go to the dinner!!!!

Greg, how far from St. Louis is the site your looking into? Depending on when and how much travel, I might be able to field a team.
Noah

Question:

Are we envisioning everyone competing in THE contest and then using the score sheets to tally the Brethren standings! :D Gotta compare apples to apples, ya know? :D

chad said:
Question:

Are we envisioning everyone competing in THE contest and then using the score sheets to tally the Brethren standings! :D Gotta compare apples to apples, ya know? :D

That sounds fair enough to me... then Saturday night after awards and the Brethren sweep everything, we celebrate really late into the early morning hours right there on site?!

I imagine that there will be many guys who do not have a team that would want to join up with a team there so we'll need to get that organized in advance. For instance, at least half my team wouldn't be there... and the OL definitely skips this one! :wink:

Back