Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Chiming in here...

“The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it.” — Thomas Sowell

The only portion of our business where we never run out of food is the Catering side. Onsite catering at a Wedding reception, Birthday, Corporate Event - Running out of food is unexcuseable, and can be the kiss of death for your business. We only take one Catering event per day, and concentrate on that event. Our Food Trucks and Restaurant were another story.

Trucks were a different story - We could only stock so much product, and hold it for so long, so we balanced our pricing with how much we had to sell, over how long we could sell it. A typical truck "stop" was 4-5 hours, and we typically sold out in 3-4. Our customers knew we had the best food, at a reasonable price, and to get there early to get it. This was the case for 2.5 plus years.

At our Restaurant, we made what we made each day, and very close to contest quality BBQ. We had certain specials on certain days/eves, and when we ran out, we ran out. Burnt Ends on Fridays were usually sold out by 5:30 for example. Never had anyone bent outta shape because we were out of a certain item, the comment was "Wow, that must be really good. We'll get here earlier next time". We structured the operation around what we knew we could do really well each day, and charged accordingly.

That said, all this took time and we made plenty of mistakes along the way - lol! I think the idea of "The Customer is King", and "Always Right" can be problematic. I've always said "The Customer is always the Customer" - We've always treated them with respect and hospitality, and made some nice frends along the way. Business is different now, more regulation, costs, pressure, and moving parts (Social Media, Internet, Email, etc). He'll figure out where he needs to be, and find his "lane". Success takes time, and nothing feels better.

A condensed version? Here it is.

I bought the place back in May.
It took months to find a contractor.
It took them another month or two to complete the job.
Then the idiots didn't pull the right permit for the smoker and cost us another month and many thousands of dollars.
Going 8 months from buying the place to making your first dollar is not good for the bank account.
Finally get open and we can't handle the demand.
Now so busy I think we need to hire more people.

That about sums it up.

No, not like that funny fella. An actual stripped down thread that only had your posts on it. Without all the "oh that sucks" and the "Hey that's great" or the "Hang in there Buddy" and "Good lucks". 75 pages that could be reduced to about 4-5. That kind of condensed. I am not going through 75 pages. Been following this from the begining so I have an idea. Was just saying it would be interesting to see that version.

Sounds like you have your hands full. Good luck, hope it keeps going for ya.

Oh yeah, I just called him a jackhole here to vent. It's not that I didn't appreciate his business, but most people with $100+ orders call in ahead. But he just walked in and ordered that huge order and it threw everything off.

That's just one more thing we need to plan for. We can put enough meat on to fulfill a typical lunch/dinner, but you never know when somebody is going to come in and on a whim buy their staff of 20 lunch and mess everything up.

Also keep in mind, when people google "prized pig" to look into your place, these posts will show up on search results.

You will never get the product mix and qty right all the time.

I had a company for many years that design, developed and manufactured TV Broadcast equipment, I know this is way off food but there are some parallels. We had probably 50 or more modular products that our broadcast customers would regularly buy in varying qtys. No amount of customer forecasting, historical sales analysis or glazing into a crystal ball enables us to get the production scheduling spot on.

We either had more of one, not enough of another and it seemed always we were 1 or 2 short of being able to fill that last order. I suppose what I am saying is many time we were "baking" more products in the "oven" to catch up and had to advise our customers it might be a few weeks to complete their orders.

Sometimes we were able to rob Peter to pay Paul as it were. Look at what we had in customer orders and when they were wanting there planned order and were able to take from this order to fill the order that was held up for a few bits. Still gave us time to complete the other customers planned order.

What is the point I am trying to make? Business is about juggling and managing. If for example if you knew that your nightly restaurant bookings is full and likely to get a second sitting per table and by selling 12 platters of rib tips which are likely to be required that evening better to say to the one take out customer we don't have that qty available without prior order. That customer will then understand they need to order ahead. I suspect if you had another low and slow options availabe " sorry we don't have rib tips but we could do pulled pork, brisket etc" as an option they most like would have gone with what you had plenty of? Your dinner trade would not have been effected.

Maybe better to tell one take out customer that sorry we don't have what you order available than have your staff tell 30 customers for dinner service that it is not available. Probably easier said than done when your doors are only just open and it has been nearly a year since you had a pay check.

It is about managing the business which will become easier overtime. Be able to forecast what your bookings are or likely to be plus or minus....way early days but your signs are very positive.

The reality it won't be until you look at a full year where, seasons, weather, your advertising, word of mouth business referrals, repeat customers, social media response etc etc is known before you will be able to more effectively manage out the peaks and troughs.

One thing I can assure you after 20 years in my own manufacturing business......you will never get it 100% right unless you have deep pockets and happy to accept waste.

So very pleased that your business is cranking the way it is....you are in a good space running out of offering rather than looking at cooked product and empty tables.

With your financial/accounting background you will without doubt manage your business better than most.

The most important advice I could give you is value all your customers equally.....they are the reason your business will be successful.

Best of luck....

Fleetz

Last edited:
I understand the comment about 'jackhole' and believe me, in the food service industry, the cooks, waitstaff and owners that smile and joke with you at the table, are often quite disparaging at the end of service. And the least liked, are the ones that come in with exceptional orders and expect exceptional response and could care less what it means for everyone else. Cooking IS hard work.

My local coffee shop would order in 50 bagels and 40 morning buns, and reliably, for two weeks, one guy would come in on Tue. and Thurs. and buy all of them. Leaving the coffee shop without those items for the morning. Sure, you sold out, but, you disappointed 90 customers to keep one happy. When told that these items were now limited to 4 of each, or special order, he complained, then tried to send people in, tried coming in when owner wasn't there. Finally, he trashed the shop on Yelp.

You surely can't please everyone and the days wear.

Loving reading this thread. As a long time home brewer and somewhat newer bbqer, it's always been a dream of mine to open a bbq and brewpub. Likely I'll never take the risk to do it, so it's fun to live vicariously through this!

very cool thread there is achain of BBQ resturants here that started in a small location. He's up to 5 now and he opened in 2009. he just built a new huge building accross the street from where I work there is always a line out the door.

I can see this happening to you

Thanks for all of the suggestions and comments, everyone. Very helpful, even in my severely sleep deprived state.

Not that I should be surprised, but we were all surprised today. Had a winter storm warning all day, the roads were awful, our parking lot wasn't plowed, and some other businesses were closing early for the day. So we expected a relatively light day. Nope. instead, it was the busiest day yet. Thankfully we prepped as if it was going to be a regular busy day, so we didn't run into any dire food shortages. Ran out of pulled pork at around 7 and ribs shortly after, but that was it and by then we really didn't have many customers coming in due to the weather.

Tomorrow should be interesting though. It's our first Sunday and we have a large church directly across the street that's been dying waiting for us to open, and two other churches a half mile down the road. I bet when service lets out it's going to get crazy. And then top that off with the super bowl. We've already got a bunch of party orders that were called in today for pickup tomorrow.

Then I had to address a customer in the parking lot after an altercation with the cashiers. He refused to come back into the building. And one of the cashiers was seconds away from calling the cops. All because we made a mistake with his takeout order and gave him slabs of ribs instead of rib tips. People be crazy!

Also had a few amazing compliments today. First, a older guy from Texas came in and ordered the brisket. When I dropped off his tray I told him to not go easy on me and tell me the truth about my brisket compared to what he gets in Texas. When I went back and sat down with him and wanted to hear an honest opinion. And he was honest. He said the point meat was outstanding, but noted the flat was just taking a turn to the dry side, which I could agree with. But otherwise he said it's the best brisket he's had since moving from Texas a few years ago.

Then another transplant couple from Tennessee came. I didn't know it until I did my rounds and asked how everything was. But they just kept thanking me. They said this reminds them of home and they've been missing it for a few years now. Talking about how the food takes them back. I mean as a cook, I don't think you could ask for anything better to hear.

And finally, a Georgia boy flagged me down to talk to me near the end of the night. So I sat down to chat and he was the same way. He talked about how he grew up in Georgia and how his dad taught him how to BBQ as a kid, and he said the corn bread and coleslaw instantly reminded him of his late father. Amazing.

All in all, another interesting, but satisfying day. I still need sleep though. And a massage. And maybe some pain killers.

People take their BBQ serious.

Those compliments thought, that is when slinging food is it's best

Oh yeah, I just called him a jackhole here to vent. It's not that I didn't appreciate his business, but most people with $100+ orders call in ahead. But he just walked in and ordered that huge order and it threw everything off.

That's just one more thing we need to plan for. We can put enough meat on to fulfill a typical lunch/dinner, but you never know when somebody is going to come in and on a whim buy their staff of 20 lunch and mess everything up.

I think everyone that has spent some time in the restaurant industry can understand how customers can get and venting is a pretty common thing. I would just recommend to try to keep it off the internet (at least with your company logo attached) you would not want word to get around that you don't appreciate your customers and speak ill of them even though it was not really the truth and was just frustration over a long day.

Good Luck!!!!

Just a reminder that its super sunday. I would expect some increased sales for the big game as well.

Congrats on kicking behind and doing "Q" right. Get some Northerners on board....

Brisket is flying out of here. I may need to buy some beef futures.

t0q0dk.jpg

I haven't been on here in a while, so I just found this thread and read it from the beginning for the last few hours (can't remember when I started). After a while, I did start skipping ahead to marubozo posts to save time.

Fascinating and frustrating. I'm very glad it had a happy ending. I wish I lived closer.

Back