***The Hanging and Spinning Meat Appreciation Thread***

When I bulit my new barrel in '13, I used the tutorial from this site. But, I still wanted to be able to hang tritip, chicken, etc. So I drilled holes just under the top rim. which double as exhaust and rod holders. Ceramic magnets cover them at the end of the cook.

I've never used a diffuser plate when cooking meat, the more drippings vaporized by the coals, the better. But, when using the grates, I do use a pizza stone under pans of beans or vegetables.

This was the debut of the new UDS, cooking hanging halved chicken, for about 40 of my fishing buddies.

100_44532_zps24b05cf6.jpg

But, it's really nice to have a grate, we do a lot of fishing.

140511_001_zps431dda3b.jpg

And our current new favorite, corned beef with smoked cabbage. It's not just for St. Pat's day anymore!

Corned%20beef%20cabbage_zpsduikvyaw.jpg

Lastly, I have an extra barrel on hand, and want to add a removable section, that will stack on top. Room for 3-4 more racks, and a rotisserie. Seems somewhere on this site, I'd seen it, Just haven't found it yet.

Wow that's AWESOME! I'd sure like to fish and party with you guys! Looks like about 9 birds on there too..that's a ton of chicken!

I like the 2 rebar or 3 rebar setup....it gives you extra exhaust and I really like that. Smoke needs an easy escape and that's perfect. If I'm not mistaken you have a drum with horseshoes sitting next to that.

The only time I like a grate/ diffuser is for those pork butts i hung because it helped with grease fire flashing and made a nice safety net because i don't want to pull them and wrap.

Wow that's AWESOME! I'd sure like to fish and party with you guys! Looks like about 9 birds on there too..that's a ton of chicken!

I like the 2 rebar or 3 rebar setup....it gives you extra exhaust and I really like that. Smoke needs an easy escape and that's perfect. If I'm not mistaken you have a drum with horseshoes sitting next to that.

the horseshoe handle is my old one, its about 15 years old. It has 4 rods, and will easily accommodate 14 halves. My UDS, only 3, as I was not thinking that drilling the holes evenly spaced around the perimeter, was not going to lend itself to proper placement of the rods, but not being nice and parallel has not effect on the cooking, lol. This particular cook, I ordered the chicken halves from my local meat market, and they are smaller then the grocery store whole fryers, so I think I did get nine birds in the UDS, and 12 in Old Betsy

Old Betsy, in all her glory

IMG_0223.jpg

In its winter coat, keeps the winter cook times somewhere near normal. thats just kraft paper backed R-30.

IMG_0409-1.jpg

the horseshoe handle is my old one, its about 15 years old. It has 4 rods, and will easily accommodate 14 halves. My UDS, only 3, as I was not thinking that drilling the holes evenly spaced around the perimeter, was not going to lend itself to proper placement of the rods, but not being nice and parallel has not effect on the cooking, lol. This particular cook, I ordered the chicken halves from my local meat market, and they are smaller then the grocery store whole fryers, so I think I did get nine birds in the UDS, and 12 in Old Betsy

Old Betsy, in all her glory

IMG_0223.jpg

In its winter coat, keeps the winter cook times somewhere near normal. thats just kraft paper backed R-30.

IMG_0409-1.jpg
I'll tell you one thing i really like about Betsy is that the rebar lifts out. When I hung 4 butts Saturday I had to lift them out all together because they started to fall off the hooks trying to pull one by one.

I'll tell you one thing i really like about Betsy is that the rebar lifts out. When I hung 4 butts Saturday I had to lift them out all together because they started to fall off the hooks trying to pull one by one.

That is a real plus, but it kills your ability to snuff out your lump if you don't use it all. My firebasket holds 20lbs, and will last a couple cooks.

But, I'm thinking now, that an inner ring could be fastened, the slots cut, with the idea that the inner ring could rotate and shut off the draft. Interesting...

But, I don't think butts benefit from hanging like ribs do. butts sit on a rack like they would hang, meaning its still a big block of meat. but ribs hanging really take advantage of the convection effect of a barrel. Same with chicken halves and tri tips. I tried to hang whole yardbirds, what a fail that was, They both fell off the double hook set I used on each. I noticed an sudden increase in smoke coming out of the barrel as they approached the finish, i walked out to check, lifted the lid, in time to see the second bird fall. That's why i want the rotisserie.

That is a real plus, but it kills your ability to snuff out your lump if you don't use it all. My firebasket holds 20lbs, and will last a couple cooks.

But, I'm thinking now, that an inner ring could be fastened, the slots cut, with the idea that the inner ring could rotate and shut off the draft. Interesting...

But, I don't think butts benefit from hanging like ribs do. butts sit on a rack like they would hang, meaning its still a big block of meat. but ribs hanging really take advantage of the convection effect of a barrel. Same with chicken halves and tri tips. I tried to hang whole yardbirds, what a fail that was, They both fell off the double hook set I used on each. I noticed an sudden increase in smoke coming out of the barrel as they approached the finish, i walked out to check, lifted the lid, in time to see the second bird fall. That's why i want the rotisserie.

Oh you gotta do the rotisserie. My wood fired barrel roti is the bomb...so much fun to use.

Butts i can hang in my small jimmy cooker ( about the size of a wsm 18 ) and i can cook over 400 in that and finish in 5 to 5.5 hours...LOVE it! They are the best butts yet i think. Can't beat 5 1/2 hours for four 11 pounders! I couldn't have done near as good on a grate. Edit: I forgot to say i cut off the fat cap too since it isn't needed and gives some added bark. yummy

I like the collar idea to shut it off. For me laying the bars over the top and putting the lid on has worked really good and it gets great exhaust, I do that mainly on my jumbo mini aka jimmy for butts and a few other cooks.

Last edited:
OMG that's bad a**!!! You need to see those! So much you could tumble in that thing.

Thanks! I forget about roasting veggies, although it would do it easily. Mostly do anaheims, pascillas & bells.

Made another one for large batches:

PICT0044_zpsc6lc0lid.jpg

PICT0049_zpsovwqno5j.jpg

It'd make one heck of a wing cooker too Robert...don't ya think

D-amn that big one is HUGE! :shock: me likey

You inspired me. It's rough, but one wrecked road sign, and some scavenging in the basement locating stuff from past grills resulted in this.
rough%20rot_zpsbthvbvof.jpg

Nothing to cook on it at the moment, but I need to go grocery shopping anyway.
Finally cooked a chicken last night. I rubbed it with Garfunkel rub and Old Bay, and speared a slashed lime inside the bird.
Lots of air leaks, so temps were in the 450-500 deg range. The skin split, so some juices were lost. Cooked for an hour, when the breast hit 165 deg. It turned out quite moist, I was happy with the first kettle rotisserie cook.

Finally cooked a chicken last night. I rubbed it with Garfunkel rub and Old Bay, and speared a slashed lime inside the bird.
Lots of air leaks, so temps were in the 450-500 deg range. The skin split, so some juices were lost. Cooked for an hour, when the breast hit 165 deg. It turned out quite moist, I was happy with the first kettle rotisserie cook.
Sweet! Birds can take some serious heat, especially on the spinner.

You go lid off or on the side?

Where's the bird pics though? :noidea:

Back