MOINK Balls???

zwylde1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey,

Well not to long ago I asked the newbie question of whats a Fatty and I got an overwhelimng response. So here I go again?

What's a MOINK ball? :confused: If it is even half as good as the Fattys I did with your suggestions I can not wait.

Beginning my UDS build this weekend.:-D

Wow, you even spelled it right!:shock:

Just for that, I will not entertain you with all of my false suggestions, but instead defer to the almighty BBQ Grail, who is the keeper of the holy MOINK manuscripts.

In a nutshell though, it is a beef meatball wrapped in bacon.

I was about to make the spelling comment too.
Remember that the meatball can contain no other MEAT than beef. Also, traditionally they are the pre-made and frozen kind.
But as Chris Said, Larry is the Emperor of MOINK.

Don't listen to Bigabyte. Oh, wait, he's not giving you false suggestions. Weird.

The inventor of the MOINK balls is our very own BBQ Grail, if you want the info from the proverbial horses mouth, I'm sure he'll be along.

In the mean time, MOINK Balls are one of the most addictive BBQ items around. I always make at least twice what I think I need - never have left overs.

Here's a brief run-down.

Start with frozen, pre-made BEEF meatballs (I get them at Walmart or Sams, but anywhere you can get them is fine). The rules have changed and you can use homemade meatballs, but I don't see the reason to spend the time and effort when teh frozen work so well.

Thaw the meatballs, wrap in bacon (I use 1/2 slice per ball), season with your favorite rub, skewer with a toothpick and then smoke until the bacon is to the level of crispiness you like.

The original ones were served with a glaze. I forget what. I make a glaze out of jalapeno jelly and apple jelly, thinned out with just a bit of apple juice...served on the side. I also offer BBQ sauce on the side, and even ranch dressing mixed with hot sauce. ANYTHING you like works. Try a variety.

Serve. Enjoy.

What a great group of people here. I am so gald I wandered here 1 day. You all are going to take my cooking to another level. Not to mention the people I will be coking for will enjoy as well. Can not wait for the wifes comments today when we get home and she sees 2 55 gal drums in the driveway! But she thought the Fatty's were outstanding....so therefore the UDS will take them to the next level!

zwylde1, we're glad you're here, too. You're making TWO UDS's? Impressive.

Do yourself a favor and make the MOINK balls sooner than later. They are so good that my daughter (one of the pickiest eaters EVER) will make a meal out of them.

I second the idea about making lots of MOINK. They can go pretty fast.:thumb:

What Dan said, Also try some with, brown sugar and cayenne pepper sprinkled on top, instead of a rub, mmmmm good.

I made around 150 for our May Pastor's retreat. There were around 30 men there. When I put them on, people started wandering outside. When they were done, only about 5 men remained inside. The guys inside didn't get to have any - they were eaten as soon as they came off. Of course there was beer consumed first, but that is more than 5 per man average - and we still had steaks to cook.

I told them "This year these are on me - next year, I'm charging." Now that they're hooked, I plan on making some serious book money :)

What Dan said, Also try some with, brown sugar and cayenne pepper sprinkled on top, instead of a rub, mmmmm good.

Dang, Bill. I hadn't thought of this - like a pig candy MOINK ball.
Sounds good.

Looks like I know what I will be cooking Sunday for football games!

You do need to make a lot, and eat some while plating, as you will not get any if you delay getting away from the cooker for even a few minutes.

The originals, which I have had the pleasure to taste ones made by BBQ Grail are Italian pre-made meatballs. Here is a link to his description.

Here's a little history and info on the MOINK balls

I agree with the others, make more than you think you'll need!

Enjoy!

Ah, I see Bob beat me to it! :-D

Last edited:
I saw lamb bacon the other day and got to thinking...

I use skewers and put 6-8 on each one.Not that i'm lazy,( i really am) but just less hassle than dealing with individual MOINKS. Fatties and MOINKS, what will your friends think of ya now :laugh::laugh:

Back