Backwoods smokers

T

TEAM SATCHELL

What would be the best rack to cook chicken and ribs on.

Backwoods
UDS
Wsm

Big fan of ribs in a BWS, whole birds too. However, I've yet to figure out a way myself to to thighs right in a BWS. But it must be able to be done, I know of other who do it and do it well.

Yes the smoker can make a difference, but I think it is more technique, seasoning and a bit of luck.

For chicken we use the highest rack available, in my opinion it helps with color, texture and skin.
For ribs I am leaning towards middle to lower racks for a lower and slower cook. I find in my party model if I put the ribs up to high, they get dark to quickly.
I also cook with sand in the pan and not water. I have found the food usually has enough moisture, and the cooker is so well insulated, that water is redundant.
Just my .02 cents ymmv.

ROO-B-Q'n are you going to north platte barbeque. May 8/9

Well the top rack in a Party is the hottest so I used to cook chicken on the top rack of my Party, unless I had other food below it... Chicken drippings not good on other meat.... I agree with Roo on the Ribs, I like the middle racks for Ribs.

if you have the larger BWS you can use the hide setter option to crisp up the thighs very well. direct heat straight into the cook chamber :) i love them so much i cloned the competiter and am in the process of building 2 fatboys

Back