Hatch Chili con Carne on the Smokey Joe

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Where I live, football season signals the start of chili season too. A local supermarket got a huge shipment of Hatch chili peppers this weekend. So, I decided to make some Hatch Chili con Carne with beans on my Smokey Joe.

picture.php

I started by roasting the peppers to remove the skins.

picture.php

Once the peppers were nicely charred I put them in a sealed container to rest. Then, I put on some olive oil, onions, and garlic.

picture.php

When the onions and garlic had cooked for a little while I added the ground beef and the 1st seasoning dump of some chili powder, oregano, and chervil. I prefer to use Mexican oregano but I can't find it in any stores in my town anymore.

picture.php

Once the meat had browned, I added some pureed San Marzano tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, and some beef broth.

picture.php

I let it simmer while I skinned the peppers, removed the seeds and chopped them. Then, I added them to the pot.

picture.php

I let the pot continue to simmer. About 30 minutes before finishing the cook, I added another dump of seasonings that included some Hatch chili powder.

picture.php

When the chili was ready, I covered the dutch oven and set it aside. Then, I made some corn cakes.

picture.php

And, here is the finished dish. It was rich, spicy, and very good, if I do say so myself.

Hatch Chili con Carne with Beans

picture.php

Thanks for looking, brethren!

Last edited:
That chili looks awesome
I could go for a couple of bowls

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

Man that looks so good I'm drooling!

Marjoram is a good substitute for Mexican oregano if used in the same quantities.

Greek or Italian oregano will work if you cut the quantities in half.

I like to add Marjoram to Mexican recipes even if the recipe does not call for it just because it adds a bit more flavor.

Dude, that post put me into a severe salivation crises !! Damn that looks awesome. I need to get started.

Oh Baby!!! I'd hit that twice today!! Looking good. Glad you can enjoy the goodness of Hatch chile up in your parts! It's good stuff. I like the corn cakes too!

Bob

Bo, that looks delicious! And you cooked the whole thing on a WSJ. Wow. If there are any leftovers, I'll come get them. :hungry:

Oh man, I'm ready for some chili...I love how it turns out when cooked in the DO (which fits perfectly inside my tamale pot/smoker joe)!!

That looks like some good eats for sure!

Man does that ever look gooooood! Ido love the red. Thanks for sharing.:icon_bigsmil

Back