To all BBQ Contest organizers!

Pigs on The Run

Full Fledged Farker
Whew! I have a new respect for contest organizers. After 10 years of competing , I thought it would be fun to organize a contest in my area. Well, It was unbelievablly awesome. It had over 5000 people to visit and 28 KCBS teams , 4 backyard teams plus about 40 judges. It was a learning experience and I am sure i pissed some people off. But for the most part I think we did a great job. I hoped it brought our community together. One thing I learned about BBQ is it is all about making friends. I think I made over 5000 new ones.
BBQ on. Can't wait til next year!
John

I can't even imagine how hard it is, I thought about doing one, and advice I got from organizers, was to start really really early.

I have volunteered and glad I did, gives you a whole new aspect how contests work, competing is way far easier.

I bet your cell phone was really your best friend through all of that planning ! Great job and thank you !

Organizing is twice as much work and half as much fun as cooking, and an order of magnitude beyond judging. I think those of us who do it (more than once) see it as giving back to the community we love, as we all know contests run by folks who know the competition BBQ world from the inside tend to be the best events.

Thanks to you John for stepping up and shouldering the yoke. I'm sure the teams in your area really appreciate your hard work.

-GF

Back