Is a Bone in Butt really that much better??

V-wiz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey Gang, after my first successful butt http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145661 i have decided to do another one, but the question is, is a bone in butt really better? or taste better? Why i ask because i can get a boneless butt from Costco for almost half the price of what i paid from my local butcher shop, Butcher has em for 2.99, Costco has them i think 1.75. So what do you guys say?

I can't tell the least bit of difference between bone-in or boneless.

The boneless ones I have bought have been on the lean side, so now I just get bone in

Since I have never really tested, I cannot say. For the price, go with the boneless and see what folks tell you.

If boneless is at the same price I would choose it, if it is actually cheaper it is a no brainer.

The Cosco boneless butts are awesome. I have done plenty of bone-in and boneless and can't tell any difference at all.

I can't tell the difference in taste of the meat, but one thing I do like about bone in is that they tend to keep their shape better. This comes in handy when doing multiples on my WSM.

True. I always tie up the boneless ones with some cooking twine. No big deal.

Well then, i guess i will try the boneless.. The only thing i didnt like about the Costco butt was it didnt have a thick fat cap, i want more fat.

Boneless gives you more rubbing opportunities. (Mmmm rubbing opportunities.) I think the most importing thing is marbling.

Well then, i guess i will try the boneless.. The only thing i didnt like about the Costco butt was it didnt have a thick fat cap, i want more fat.

Ha. That is what I love about the Cosco butts. Most other places have too thick of a fat cap on their butts which I have to trim a lot of it off. Plus there is plenty of fat inside the butts.

From my experience, all meat costs more from the butcher. But then, you should be getting better quality and better cuts.

Bone in tends to help distribute heat better, IMO. I have also cooked boneless and they are just as good.

I always tie the meat with butchers twine.

wallace

Ha. That is what I love about the Cosco butts. Most other places have too thick of a fat cap on their butts which I have to trim a lot of it off. Plus there is plenty of fat inside the butts.

I prefer more fat as it adds to the flavor, if you see my link i posted above, i didnt trim any of the fat, by the end of the cook all the fat had melted.

From my experience, all meat costs more from the butcher. But then, you should be getting better quality and better cuts.

Bone in tends to help distribute heat better, IMO. I have also cooked boneless and they are just as good.

I always tie the meat with butchers twine.

wallace

Thanks Wallace.

I prefer more fat as it adds to the flavor, if you see my link i posted above, i didnt trim any of the fat, by the end of the cook all the fat had melted.

Yeah it is debate even in comp circles. I prefer to trim my to a 1/4 of an inch.

I've done both. Both are great. I think fat marbling is the most important thing, but I will say this.....

When we compete and are pulling the meat, we consistently notice that the meat right against the bone has the deepest, "porkiest" flavor. So that said, I think the bones add that to the party.

That is NOT to say that the boneless butts can't offer killer pulled pork. Last year, at one comp, they were out of bone-in butts and we had to go with boneless. We ended up getting 2nd.

Bottom line, do what feels right to ya! :thumb:

Nope. That's my own, un-scientific opinion. I can't taste any difference at all.

CD

I've done both. Both are great. I think fat marbling is the most important thing, but I will say this.....

When we compete and are pulling the meat, we consistently notice that the meat right against the bone has the deepest, "porkiest" flavor. So that said, I think the bones add that to the party.

That is NOT to say that the boneless butts can't offer killer pulled pork. Last year, at one comp, they were out of bone-in butts and we had to go with boneless. We ended up getting 2nd.

Bottom line, do what feels right to ya! :thumb:

Well there was a bone in there at one point right? so who knows if that flavor is from the cook or not?

Back