Southern Hospitality & Dr BBQ part ways

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Read this morning on Pigtrip

(11/15/09)
New York BBQ: Southern Hospitality, Dr. BBQ Part Ways

PigTrip has learned that Ray Lampe, better known as "Dr. BBQ," is no longer affiliated with Southern Hospitality (NYC). The parting came within the last month, according to a barbecue forum post I read over the weekend. Based on Lampe's comments, the split appears to be amicable. For me, the 'cue there was up and down, but when the Doctor was in the house there were some good eats.​
Now we'll see what direction the barbecue takes at the Upper East Side eatery. A better question might be whether the barbecue itself will even be a focalpoint, since there seems to be a greater emphasis on establishing Southern Hospitality as a watering hole.​
Two other prominent New York pitmasters also within the last month ended their affiliations with their respective restaurants located on opposite sides of Manhattan. Greg Barry is out as pitmaster at Ruby's Famous BBQ Joint in East Meadow. And over at Bailey's Smokehouse in Blauvelt, pitmaster of three years Dave "Fink" Finkelstein is out.​

What the heck is going on? That's why I got in business for myself. You can't trust The Man. If he thinks he can make a little more money without you your gone.

Back