point or flat temperature?

troy64

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Brisket internal temps do you go by the flat or the point? Does it matter?

Neither. Cook it till it feels right, probe tender in thickest part of the flat, sideways. One brisket may be done at 195 another at 210* IT..............

P.S. I like that smoker.!.

Neither. Cook it till it feels right, probe tender in thickest part of the flat, sideways. One brisket may be done at 195 another at 210* IT..............

P.S. I like that smoker.!.

Thanks.

Briskets are the Hardest Q to get right cause it has the smallest window of done.
Undercooked is Dry and Tough. Overcooked will crumble when sliced but Tastes Good - makes Great Chopped Beef Sammiches.

If you are referring to IT to know when to wrap or something then you need to put the probe in the flat. If your are checking for when it's done then go by the probe tender test like already mentioned.

Most of use do not internal temperature. Feel is far more consistent once you learn.

Although, there is little reason to start probing before your brisket flat is 190°F, and it could take a lot more heat from there to be done. I do use the flat for testing with the probe, as that is where tender is the hardest to get done.

Some people shake it and count the jiggles.......

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU[/ame]

So a "general till I learn" step is to temp probe the thickest part of the flat while cooking and then tenderness probe (feel) when the IT gets in that range?

What I would do...

First off, choose a temperature you want to cook, be it 225, 275 or 300, and use a proven method at that temperature to run your cook. Believe it or not, the cook temperature affects the final temperature.

Yes, run a temperature probe in the middle of the flat, so you can learn when the flat is approaching the proper temperature for your chosen method of cooking. Once it reaches the temperature for starting to probe, remove the thermometer probe. From here, it is completely based upon feel. Probe every 30 minutes to 45 minutes, using an ice pick or metal skewer, and what you want is a very tender resistance, like a butter knife through room temperature butter. Remove and let rest, for at least 30 minutes or until brisket is at 165°F or so.

If you cook at:
225°F, start probing at 190°F
275°F, start probing at 200°F
300°F, start probing at 205°F

Back