Food Safety -- what is this black stuff?

BenBarrBQue

Help! So, I just finished cooking some ribs, and when I cut into them, I found these little streaks and spots of black. I've never seen it before. Does anyone know what this is? Is it safe to eat?

Attachments

• IMG_4065.jpg
    IMG_4065.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_4066.jpg
    IMG_4066.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_4067.jpg
    IMG_4067.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 482
Oh gawd, it's the dreaded Black Pork of Death, just touching it has doomed you to a horrible painful death...or...

Looks like cooked blood to me, more than likely, blood did not get drained from the carcass at slaughter, and it coagulated along that area. Once cooked, it turned blackish, sort of like Black pudding/blood sausage

That pig was probably hit with a cattle prod in the ribs close to the time of his demise. they cause deep tissue bruising.

+1 on the bruises, that is mild compared to a huge abscess that I cut into once on a beef primal. Apparently it was missed at the packing house. Remembering gives me the willies... :sick: Made me vegetarian for a day or two.

And before anyone corrects me that it would be a Intercostal Hematoma instead of a Subdural Hematoma.....I know, but I did not want to confuse it with HomeTrucking's bruise he got falling out of his boat.

I think this ecchymosis which is similar to bruising but not caused by 'trauma'. It is blood leaking out of small blood vessels brought on by preslaughter stress.

As long as it smelt fine prior to cooking it should have no impact on eating!

I think this ecchymosis which is similar to bruising but not caused by 'trauma'. It is blood leaking out of small blood vessels brought on by preslaughter stress.

As long as it smelt fine prior to cooking it should have no impact on eating!
Gentlemen, he is Aussie from the smart side of the country.
I'd listen to him.:becky:

Previously Frozen. Marrow oozes black!
think HT is right...seen this many times and has drove me nuts. but only on the ribs i get from one place>>>>FROZEN
But. I've ate a ton of em' with no problems. just now put 2 and 2 together.

if it was beef it's cancer : (

like 50% of cattle in US have leukemia (true story)

Looks like black bone. You see it in chicken wings a lot. It's when the product has been frozen, thawed, frozen, thawed. Someone earlier in the post mentioned this also.

yeah, um chickens get leukemnia too.

plus you ever wonder how they get so many chicken wings for wing joints but where do all the rest of the chicken bodies go? cancer, that's where

also - funny story, LAST time i'll ever go to KFC...college kids and high school kids working there punch the hell out of the frozen chicken and every goutdanhged bone was broken in my order, I was going to complain to the manager as i usually do to stand my ground but i figured to not because why would i eat that chicken when i should not?

Back