Rubs for Butts & Ribs

Sammy_Shuford

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have been using Magic Dust (Now called something else). Thinking about trying something different.

Looking for your best rub, home made or store bought.

Thanks

I love Magic Dust myself. To me, it is the perfect balance between sweet and hot for ribs. Similar but milder rub is Big Bob Gibson's, which is also great.

Try some Plowboys Yardbird. I know it says "Yardbird" in the name, but just trust me.

Yardbird, anything Dizzy Pig has is awesome, and 3EYZS rubs are my goto rubs. I rarely even make anything now from Paul Kirks Championship BBQ Sauces book. There's no need. Ive cooked with or next to Dan and Chris a few times and they win using their own stuff. And Todd got me hooked the first bottle I ever tried. All three owners are members on this board, and ordering products is easy and fast.

I smoked 3 racks of St. Louis cut ribs this weekend and used 3 different rubs. After reading this board for the last couple of months I decided to try Plowboys Yardbird and a Dizzy Pigs rub. (plus I was able to pick them up here in Virginia Beach at the Central Meats store.) Both of them were very good and I will continue using them.

I've also been using Pork Magic from Paul Prudhome for years and have always loved that.

My wife loves my ribs and was a little apprehensive about me changing the way I've been doing things. That is one reason I used the Pork Magic, too. She did like the other rubs. I just know that if I decide to experiment some I have to take things slowly. I almost always use the same sauce I've been making for the last ten years because she doesn't like to change perfection (her words:redface:).

I also made my first fatties and she fell in love with them so there's hope for some experimentation. ABTs are next.

Back