Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

This would look pretty good for towing the trailer. It even matches. Too bad I think my wife would divorce me :(

00808_6kLqfWi9Ljp_600x450.jpg

Ok, just because the brethren are so damn awesome, here's my pickle recipe. This is my home sized recipe that makes two quart jars or so.

Ingredients
• 4-6 medium cucumbers, or 8-10 small pickling cucumbers
• 4 cups water
• 2 cups white vinegar
• 8-12 cloves of garlic
• 6 tablespoons of pickling/canning salt or non-iodized kosher salt
• A few sprigs of fresh dill, or substitute with 2 tablespoons of dill seed
• 1 teaspoon coriander seed
• 1 teaspoon celery seed
• 1 teaspoon mustard seed
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 2 Hungarian hot wax peppers

Directions

Start by bringing the water to a simmer in a saucepan. While the water is heating, peel the garlic. For a subtle garlic flavor, use 8 cloves (4 in each jar). Use more for a stronger garlic flavor. Leave the cloves whole. Once the water is up to a simmer you can add the garlic and cook for about five minutes. While the garlic is cooking, prepare your cucumbers by slicing into quarters lengthwise for spears, or cut thin chips. After the garlic has cooked for five minutes, add the vinegar and salt and bring to a boil until the salt is dissolved and then remove from the heat.

In two one-quart canning jars (wide-mouth jars work best for this) add the fresh sprigs of dill and remove the garlic from the pan and distribute equally in both jars. Then divide the remaining spices between the two jars. If you want a touch of heat, add one Hungarian hot pepper, halved lengthwise, to each jar. Next, take the cucumbers and pack them tightly into each jar. Bring the brine back up to a boil and pour immediately into both jars, filling very close to the very top so that the cucumbers are completely covered.

Let cool to room temp and then refrigerate overnight. They are really good after sitting overnight, but amazing after another day or two.

Thanks so much!!! I stayed up until 3 am reading through this post last night while my brisket was cooking.

I really want to make these pickles as I have tons of cucumbers coming in and we have been throwing them out because we can't eat them fast enough :shocked:

Forgive me, but I've never seen a Hungarian Hot Wax pepper in the grocery store... I'm going to look tomorrow, but is there a reasonable substitution pepper that wouldn't change the flavor profile too much?

Thanks in advance!

Pitch her about the $40K truck you need to purchase to pull the trailer. Then complain about option 2 (Used - $8K-$15K option) as if you really wanted the new one, but are willing to settle.

Rub onion in your eye if necessary.
Classic salesman technique known as door in the face complience technique (minus the onion ) :-D

Maybe a little barter

Maybe, set up a swap with a local dealer. Provide an attractive lunch one Saturday a month in exchange for a truck. Cross advertise and maybe a winner? Maybe he also has football tickets and needs a little catering in the fall?

Just saying...

Thanks so much!!! I stayed up until 3 am reading through this post last night while my brisket was cooking.

I really want to make these pickles as I have tons of cucumbers coming in and we have been throwing them out because we can't eat them fast enough :shocked:

Forgive me, but I've never seen a Hungarian Hot Wax pepper in the grocery store... I'm going to look tomorrow, but is there a reasonable substitution pepper that wouldn't change the flavor profile too much?

Thanks in advance!

Banana peppers?
I think this may be the southern name for the wax pepper.
They vary in heat, from about 1000 on the Scoville scale, to maybe 15,000.

0429111043a-1.jpg

00808_6kLqfWi9Ljp_600x450.jpg

I think either of these would lend more credibility to you and your business than a new truck. It just seems to say (to me at least) that you don't mind working hard to maintain a superior product in the face of mass produced garbage.

Also, for what its worth, I'd take the Chevy.

While I agree that's chevy is a beautiful old truck! Ill stick to my Fords. lol

Although my Brand discrimination basically disappears as you get any earlier than 1980.

2012-11-04_08-34-33_576.jpg

Sorry! Ill stop draggin your thread through the Off Topic Muck!

Yes, that is the plan. With our capacity issues now, there's not much we could do with the trailer unless it was something during the week when we could scrap together a few extra pork butts and briskets if need be. But until the new smoker is here I'll just spend the time getting it prepared and ready for service.

The first event I plan on using it for is the craft brew and wine festival at the end of the month. Smoker might not be ready quite then, but I'll beg, borrow, or steal something to make sure that event happens.

Could you use the trailer on your busiest days as a separate take out window? I heard Franklin talking about that in an interview he did recently. Using his old trailer for it to ease the lines. Obviously that would involve more staff but it was just a thought after hearing that.

Back