BBQ Brethren "Something Fowl This Way Comes" Throwdown!

Accept this entry for the throwdown, please

IMAG0561.jpg

Could you describe how you prepared and cooked it for us?

CD

Its a simple combination...
  • A hot smoker running @ 300-325* (charcoal/applewood)
  • Chicken wings (clipped) and drizzled in EVOO
  • Your choice of rub (Plowboy's Yardbird/Oakridge HDD)
  • Cook to 185* internal temp

Devour the evidence!

About 5 secons ago I was thinking of entering some wings. After seeing Bandit's entry I've been forced to reconsider.

My officially foul entry...

I do love me some rotisserie chicken.

I started by making a brine with sea salt, turbinado sugar, and fresh sage, rosemary and thyme from my garden (sorry, no parsley :becky:).

picture.php

picture.php

I brined my bird overnight. Then, I pulled it from the brine, stuffed it with chunks of lemon and onion, rubbed a LOT of minced garlic under the skin, and tied my bird up. It then sat in the fridge for a couple hours so the skin would dry enough to get nice and crispy when cooked.

picture.php

Once I got the bird on the grill, I par cooked some red potatoes, coated them with OO, and seasoned with salt, pepper and some dried oregano, also from my garden.

picture.php

About fifteen minutes left on the cook, I poured the potatoes into the drip pan under the bird, along with some butter, and let the potatoes finish cooking in chicken fat.

picture.php

The bird came out golden brown.

picture.php

The potatoes were perfectly cooked, and quite tasty.

picture.php

Right after I took the potato shot above, the power went out in my neighborhood. So, my money shot was lit by a combination of Coleman lantern, and the flash on the camera, in slow-sync mode. I kind of like how it turned out.

picture.php

I ate a little bit of ever part of the bird, and it was my best rotisserie chicken so far.

Enjoy.

Eleven pages and only five entries, so far.

CD

It then sat in the fridge for a couple hours so the skin would dry enough to get nice and crispy when cooked.

Thanks for the heads up on how to get crispier skin, I didn't know drying in the fridge for a couple hours would create crispier skin. The finished bird has beautiful colour and with the description of seasoning I'm sure it was delicious. Potatoes look great, too. Very nice entry, CD.

official fowl entry form attached

I thought I would submit some angry birds.

started with some fresh ginger
7967191634_5be40fc506_z.jpg

I pealed one and chopped it with lime juice and applied on and in the birds and put in the kamado using apple and cherry for smoke. started with the temp at 225.
7967193130_186408d4da_z.jpg

for a side I stuffed some bell peppers with rice and italian sausage.
7967194538_6ac05edfbc_z.jpg

when the sausage was done, I added mozzarella cheese.
7967197342_8199e3b5d6_z.jpg

Waiting for some
7967196020_762fee7dd1_z.jpg

after the peppers were taken off I raised the temp to about 300 to crisp the skin.

the plated pic.

7967198320_ba05e28997_z.jpg

Mongo would choose this pic:grin:

7967210484_d86d64ff48_z.jpg

thanks for looking

Back