Select Packers for Comp???

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Went to Sams this morning to get my briskets for this weekends Comp. My first one that Ill be doing all the cooking and prep. I asked to see a different case of Briskets which they always let me do, because im there almost every weekend lol. But any way I found 2 10.5 lbers which were he labeled choice. I went to check out and they were select on the Cryovac, I had the box they came in and went back to talk to him. He said that he evidently got shafted and was not aware that they were select, And that they only sold choice. Said he could give me case price to bring the price down a bit.
Have any of yall cooked select for comps? Im hoping to find some choice or better at another spot here in town. But if not He's holding those two for me.
What ya think?

dont sell yourself short....though it is always nice to age a little more in advance, I would try to get the best available....just my 2cents....

These were packed on 2/20/09, I would like to age em longer but only have one reefer in the house. So cant hold 2 briskets in there for very long, Dont have enough room.

if all else fails, go to the CAB website, you can usually check and see who sells Angus around you

I have cooked select and have had no problems with it. I do not prefer it, but if it is all that is available cook it and I think it will be fine.

I usually cook the best that I find. If it's select and is flexable, then I cook it. Not sure if you have one, but Target carries choice packers also.

How much were they per pound.
For Brisket I am thinking of going with the Kobe-Waygu Briskets that you can get for $3.95 per lb. They will be plenty tender.

Last edited:
How much were they per pound.
For Brisket I am thinking of going with the Kobe-Waygu Briskets that you can get for $3.95 per lb. They will be plenty tender.

In Texas I get brisket Choice for 1.69 lb at SAMs. I got 1 Choice and 1 Select at SAMs today. Both same price. Figured I put the guy through his paces bringin me 2 cases to look at . Nothing over 11lbs which is unusual for our SAMs. Both of the ones I got were a little over 10 lbs each. Gonna keep em seperated on the cooker and see which one comes out better or if they are about the same.

I checked all over town and it seems everyone is selling select briskets. Even the 2 meat processing plants here get cryovaced selects.

United Market street does carry CAB briskets but they are market trimmed and double the price of a choice packer.
Is that the only way you can get the CABs?

They ship 2 days a week Fresh or Frozen. 13.00 For the Box + Shipping.

Do you know if they are willing to ship?

On the original question...I cooked a select and a choice 2 different times and did the blind judging thing with the folks I was feeding. The Choice won by a landslide both times. Since then I have only cooked choice.

I am not surprised. The USDA knows what they are doing when they label a meat select or choice. I have have done similar tests with the same result, but it is nice to have it confirmed by someone else.

In my opinion a BBQ competition is all about the meat. You can be the greatest grand master of bbq in the world, have the most secret magic dust and potions to sprinkle on and inject into the meat, cook the meat on the greatest bbq rig ever created by man, and if you are cooking a crappy piece of meat, the end product will only be marginally good, if not just down-right tough and bland. Spend the time and money to find the best meat in your area, it is one of the few things we have under our control when we go to these competitions. Wine, dine, and woo your butcher to work his butt off to find the best meat he possibly can and compensate him for his efforts, or at least put him on your Christmas Card list. :).

To make a financial argument--at most of these comps it costs you around $50 to enter a meat. That 50 dollars is a sunk cost and costs $50 regardless if you bring hand selected $200/lb Wagyu shipped directly from Kobe Japan, or pay a $0.25/lb for Grade C sourced from your buddy's backyard. To me it makes sense financially to spend a little more to get better meat in order to extract as much value as possible from the sunk cost of $50. Not all the time will the better meat be more expensive, but generally cost is a function of demand and people demand more naturally tender and flavorful meats. I think the judges as well demand the same, as they are always told by the KCBS--"Judge the meat. Its not a sauce contest or a garnish contest, it is a meat contest."

Of course there is always an issue of what a person or team would like versus what they can afford--especially in these troubling economic times, but it comes down to priorities, and for me quality meat is a priority. Just me two dollars worth--sorry, sometimes I get carried away. :)

Last edited:
...on the other hand, we've beaten $200 briskets more than once. Go figure.

Back