THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

colonel00

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I had never tried this before but about a month or so ago I was smoking some cheese and threw on a block of cream cheese. After it was done I vacuum sealed everything and into the fridge it went. I had been eating on the regular cheese but totally forgot about the cream cheese. The other day I saw it in there and gave it a try. Sweet baby cheeses, this stuff is good. If you haven't tried it yet, do it now! With winter upon most of us, it is even a better time as it will be easier to keep the temps down.

I have no pr0n to post and let's face it, it would be quite boring to just have a picture of a block of cream cheese :becky:

I used my typical cheese smoking setup since I was doing regular cheese too. I just use the tin can with a soldering iron in it with some apple chips filling the can. This goes into my UDS at the bottom(ish) (depending on which drum and if I am lazy). I put the cheese on the top grate and I rest it on skewers so the cheese doesn't get dirty from the seasoned grates.

For the cream cheese, I basically did the same as regular cheese. Due to it's consistency, you do need to take care to keep it as cold as possible. It was also a bit of a challenge to vacuum seal which isn't completely necessary but I like to seal all of my cheese and let it mellow for a while.

As far as the amount of smoke, that will be personal preference. When I did this batch a while ago, the temps were still kind of warm so I didn't let the smoker run for as long as I usually do. The regular cheese didn't seem to take on as much smoke but the cream cheese came out really good. With that said, I would suggest doing the cream cheese for a shorter amount of time until you know what you want.

Can't believe you didn't even take a picture of the cheese, not even one close-up. :tsk:

useless_thread_1.jpg

Can't believe you didn't even take a picture of the cheese, not even one close-up. :tsk:

useless_thread_1.jpg

Happy?

carrotcakefrosting.jpg

I was wondering how you vacuum sealed it. :grin:

I got some cheese planned for tomorrow. May have to give this a shot.

It wasn't too difficult. I just had a block of cream cheese that I cut in half for the smoking. It stayed cool enough to retain its shape. Then into a vacusuck bag and vac and seal.

Back