MOINKs on a Weber kettle

Professor Salt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
nice article, good pix. I have always slow smoked mine, will ahve to try the hot and fast version.

nice article, good pix. I have always slow smoked mine, will ahve to try the hot and fast version.

I know slow & low is the norm here on Brethren. My OC Weekly readers aren't the hardcore BBQ people. If I'm lucky, they might even own a charcoal grill and not a gasser. So I'm writing the how-to's with equipment they might own, and the simplest instructions I can.

Great article...I love the idea of using a skewer instead of toothpicks. Put 3 or 4 on a skewer like a kabob.

I know slow & low is the norm here on Brethren. My OC Weekly readers aren't the hardcore BBQ people. If I'm lucky, they might even own a charcoal grill and not a gasser. So I'm writing the how-to's with equipment they might own, and the simplest instructions I can.

I was going to try this tomorrow for the 1st time, on the offset smoker.
I guess as long as I get it hot enough to make the bacon crisp.
That should be OK?

I was also making some ABT's at the same time.
The smoker will give me the most smoking space.

Nice article Shuji, great photos as well.

Q: What do people in Orange County make for dinner?

A: Reservations. :laugh:

I live in a suburb a lot like Orange County. Getting them to cook is a challenge, getting them to grill more than on a few holidays is a bigger challenge. Getting them to grill on something other than a gasser is almost impossible.

Good luck fighting the good fight. :thumb:

CD

Excellent Article!

MOINK Ball world domination is at hand!

Nice writeup! I have done moinks a couple times but now I'm gonna look for some of those longer skewers to get 3 or 4 on each instead of using the toothpicks... that's a pretty good idea :)

I was going to try this tomorrow for the 1st time, on the offset smoker.
I guess as long as I get it hot enough to make the bacon crisp.
That should be OK?

I was also making some ABT's at the same time.
The smoker will give me the most smoking space.

Yeah, should be fine. How'd yours come out Pappy?

Like I said in the article, I like thin sliced bacon because it crisps up better. Too little bacon is better than too much bacon in my opinion, or else it doesn't crisp up nice.

Everything was good. The moinks were a little dry other than that it was a feast. I kept the smoker pretty hot for about 1 1/2 hours. I 1st time I looked they were done.

IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3402.jpg

Back