Looking for tips and tricks on a weber kettle

Ertothel

Knows what a fatty is.
About to spend some vacation time with access to a 26 inch weber kettle.

Want to fly high without the safety net (or training wheels may be the more appropriate metaphor) I'm used to with the PBC and all the tips available on the PBC appreciation thread (respek - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239 )

Any suggestions or tips - smoking or grilling - on a weber kettle, or is there a multithousand page Weber Kettle appreciation thread I can spend the next couple weeks perusing?

TIA

nope.. no UDS style kette thread, but the kettle is pretty straight forward.. my 26 inch kettle is usually used for parties..i build 3 spots, hot medium and warm(controlled by volume and depth of the coals),, this gives me a versatile cooking space to move things around and cook evenly. This technique works even better on the Ranch kettle when your cooking for the entire family reunion. :)

Last edited:
The 26er is a great cooker due to its size which allows for multiple heat zones. I put Grill Grates directly over the coals on one side and indirect cook meat on the other side. Then I will give a sear on the grillgrates just before the meat is done... Comes out perfect every time. :)

You will have fun with it. Bank coals to one side for multiple heat zones as stated above and you are off and running. You can find threads on snaking charcoal and other ideas. But for vacation, a bag of kbb and some wood chunks can cover everything you may need.

The real estate is awesome and I am not sure how I used a 22" for so long before getting the 26! Have fun.

Some more info.
www-bbqviking-com-charcoal-setup1.png

weber.jpg

"A longer burn process for kettles"
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?2510...ss-for-kettles

For direct grilling I have found this method to work best:
- Spread one chimney of UN-lit charcoal evenly in the pit.
- Fill the Chimney 1/2 way full of coals and light it (I prefer Weber cubes)
- When coals are fully lit and ashed over, spread them over the unlit coals in the pit.
- Wait 15-20 minutes for remaining coals to light.

I really like this thread and I will be following it.
Thanks for the links !
I am reading through them and I already found a ton of useful information (I don't have a weber, just a cadac kettle, but it works just the same)

Back