On-Site Storage

TrustTheDust

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

not sure if this topic has been discussed before, but I was just curious on what you guys are using for on-site storage during a comp. So far, I have been working out of a few Rubbermaid tubs, but there has to be an easier way!

Have you built or purchased anything to store all of your supplies/tools in during a competition? Obviously I am not working out of a giant trailer, so I was just curious you you have come up with that helps with organization.

Thanks in advance.

Until very recently, we have transported all of our gear in a 5' x 8' rental trailer and have used clear, hard plastic boxes and a chest of plastic drawers to hold all of our "stuff". We are now using a mini-van and have condensed the "stuff" from the drawers into toolboxes and reduced the number of clear, hard plastic boxes that we take by also condensing those contents.

You're on the right track with the Rubbermaid idea but having clear lids and sides makes a huge difference.

What to you take to get all your stuff to a comp? Van, truck and utility trailer, truck and smoker?

What to you take to get all your stuff to a comp? Van, truck and utility trailer, truck and smoker?

Well, Smoke&Beers hauls most of the crap. but since we live an hour and a half apart we just meet at the comp usually.

He takes is truck with trailer holding all his gear (2 UDS and a Traeger, coolers, Fuel, etc) and then I just drive my hatchback car. I ussually bring coolers, grill tools, rubs/sauces, knives, cutting boards, whatever I can think to bring.

We kind of operate as 2 separate teams, he takes care of 2 categories and i take care of the other. Then when we have down time help each other out. So it helps to double up on supplies at times, but keeping organized was harder than it needed to be.

Organization is key and you will learn something from each comp you do. What works for us is 4 plastic bins, 1 for wood, 1 for foil pans (so they dont get damaged and stay clean), 1 for small kitchen food items (spices, salt, pepper, juices, sauces, rubs), and 1 for lighting and decorations. These bins get emptied other than the foil bin and then we use an empty bin for safely storing our turn in boxes. Then we have 1 of those 3 drawer bins with clear plastic drawers for kicthen utinsels, foil, Ziplock backs and plastic wrap. Each drawer and bin has a label for easy ID and finally I have a 2 page check list grouped by storage area for each and every item we bring.

We've gotten it down to such a science after 3 comps this year, that it it takes little time for me to get a list together for what is needed for the next comp. Good Luck!

Back