Fattys & Poppers ?'s

mrboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I want to try out a fatty and some jalapeno poppers (on the new UDS) this weekend.

The only recipes I know are to roll a chub of sausage in your BBQ rub and put it in the smoker. For poppers, strip the seeds out of the jalapenos after you split 'em and stuff 'em with cream cheese and wrap with bacon.

You folks have to have some better ideas that I do... what's your favorite?

Thanks

All you need for a fatty is a chub of sausage. From there, you can get as creative as you want. You can rub it, stuff it, or whatever comes to mind. Being creative is part of the fun.

Your basic popper is just as you described it. To make it an Atomic Buffalo Turd (ABT), just add a little smokey sausage to the stuffing.

Personally, the sausage doesn't add anything good to the mix. The pepper cheese and bacon are enough. Just be sure to get the bacon crispy. You want a bite-though popper, not a chin burner.

CD

CD must be off his meds again, putting meat in it definitely adds something IMO. Pineapple on the other hand didn't do much for me.

Smoke up a naked fatty with just some rub on it, then crumble or chop up some of it, mix it up with some cream cheese, a little sour cream, grated cheddar and some rub. Then stuff your ABT's with that. The sour cream keeps the filling a little on the lighter side and some might try and sneak out. Fret not, that's the cooks treat and my wifes favorite part. People wig out every time I take these anywhere. I also sprinkle a little rub on the bacon too. Take 6 of those and call me in the morning.

I mix a bit of American Stockyards "Southern Blues" BBQ sauce into the cream cheese for my ABTs. Just enough to make it pink. The sweet in the sauce is a nice contrast to the heat in the pepper and the salt in the bacon.

Last edited:
for the popper's I've mixed in some of my favorite rub in with the cream cheese. It adds just a bit more flavor to the filling.

Pig shots or bacon shooters (whatever you want to call them) are good, quick, and fun too.

Cut a half inch disk of smoked sausage. wrap with a piece of bacon, forming a shot glass looking thing (pin with toothpick). Cream cheese, slice of jalapeno, and some rub/seasoning on top.

For your first fatty, do it plain (or with just your favorite rub), then you have a flavor benchmark for any subsequent fatties. For the poppers you can try a few varriations since they are so small. Stuff some with just cream cheese and experiment with the rest. Mix cream cheese with cheddar or jack or mozzarella shreds. mix in some chopped onion or garlic or sweet peppers. just a hint, sometimes there seems to be a lot of heat variation in a batch of jallapenos some can be mild and others scorchers (and I like it hot), so if anyone eating the peppers does not like hot stuff, stuff some of the little sweet peppers that are about the size of jalapenos. I have a few peeps at my house who prefer the sweet.

I am a fan of the nekkid fattie, sausage chub in a rub and smoked. I also like maple sausage for a fatty base.

I like cream cheese, sweetened pineapple bits and a little bbq rub in jalapeno with a thin bacon wrap. Rub heavy and smoke.

I'm with landarc on the fatty - just take the sausage out of the wrapper, add rub or not, and smoke. If you haven't done one before, try it before you go crazy stuffing and wrapping in bacon...
For the ABTs, go for it - we like to stuff the peppers with a cheedar jack mix, sometimes add a little cream cheese, then wrap in THIN sliced bacon, and cook till desired doneness... I like my bacon a little wiggly, so don't do them well done on purpose...
Have fun - enjoy, and let us know how you make out.

Like a couple of others said, I like to mix a little shredded chedder with the cream cheese for the poppers, and make sure your bacon is nice and crisp...and most importantly, enjoy !

The key thing on FATTIES is to keep them simple. I have read about more being ruined by making them too complicated, than by being too simple. However, one step up is to open up the chub into a rectangle, sprinkle it with rub, add slivers of jalepeno, and a 1/2 x 1/2 x 4 stick of colby jack. Roll it back up, sprinkle with more rub, and smoke until done. My friends love them that way. :clap:

Definitely do the first fattie completely naked, or with some rub. Then you'll know what you're dealing with. If you want to experiment after that, the sky's the limit. I like to stuff mine with a western omelet and home fries, occasionally. My favorite is a maple flavored fattie stuffed with some pecan-apple crisp and wrapped with a bacon weave. I eat it with maple syrup poured over the slices. My own personal little piece of heaven! :hungry:

Back