2008 Royal BBQ Map

My spot moved a little. I went from a 38x50 (which I did not order but was a nice upgrade!) to a 25x38, which is what I paid for. Missed being on "Rub Road" by one row. A travesty.
Come by 718, we'll be accepting beer donations ;)
Looking forward to it and seeing everyone.

Mine was moved also. Two spots were combined and we were moved down two spots, I imagine they can make more money that way. Now we have a huge party next to us, or what looks to be a huge party. Oh well, maybe they will have free beer and dancing girls!!!

Likewise, our assigned space 749 (where we've been the last 3 yrs.) is not on the map,,,,,,,,

You are right, I don't see it either, nor do I see 921, which is where I thought Ulcer Acres said they were.......
Corrected, they are 927

Guess there are changes/corrections coming to the map, here is a post on another forum to me addressing my post;

"Greg,
The final revision of the map has not been completed. There are a number of other details that need to be worked out. Your entire row has the incorrect numbers assigned to the spaces. Your space number IS 749 and is located where the map indicates 751.
Mike"

Do they have a team list? to go with that map?

I can't get the map to download....is my spot where it's always been? I'm assuming it is. 769 is the number.

Guess there are changes/corrections coming to the map, here is a post on another forum to me addressing my post;

"Greg,
The final revision of the map has not been completed. There are a number of other details that need to be worked out. Your entire row has the incorrect numbers assigned to the spaces. Your space number IS 749 and is located where the map indicates 751.
Mike"

What agitates me is that they set an entry deadline to reserve your spot from last year, but when you do that, they move the spot anyway. If I knew they were going to move my spot, I wouldn't have choose that one. They should release the map at the beginning of the year or before they finalize the spots.

Last edited:
All I have to do is sit back and laugh...

Enjoy the circus guys. I can honestly say I do not miss any of this.

the sooner that they take the BBQ teams serious, the better off the Royal will be.

the sooner that they take the BBQ teams serious, the better off the Royal will be.

Scottie... IMHO, no Tracy Satterfield, no better off. Just the way it is. I have said since the circus of 2005 that I'd only cook it with an invite. That's the only reason we'll be there this year. Don't get me wrong - I am thrilled and honored to get to cook my first invitational. I'm just hoping things are different from '05. To start, no dark side. THAT alone is an improvement for us. :lol:

Now, why would you say something like that to your peers/friends? Granted there are some issues, just like any other bbq contest, but, why don't you try not being so callous? It's an issue with a map, the contest is a month away, the map is getting revised...period. To err is human.

It's not callus... It's personal experience... It's also the way I was treated and still am being treated by them. As I still have not received my invitation for the Invitational... They won't get any sympathy from me. As they gave me none. So callus? Nope...

Now, why would you say something like that to your peers/friends? Granted there are some issues, just like any other bbq contest, but, why don't you try not being so callous? It's an issue with a map, the contest is a month away, the map is getting revised...period. To err is human.

Although this is only our 4th Royal, I have always considered it an opportunity to compete against some of the very best teams from coast to coast and border to border. It is a contest that I look forward to seeing friends like Scottie and many others, that I may only get to see once a year. We've always had a great time, had no major issues, and really enjoyed the long weekend.
Scottie, I know you're really sore about last year, but personally I think the Royal staff does a great job running a 500 team contest.

Although this is only our 4th Royal, I have always considered it an opportunity to compete against some of the very best teams from coast to coast and border to border. It is a contest that I look forward to seeing friends like Scottie and many others, that I may only get to see once a year. We've always had a great time, had no major issues, and really enjoyed the long weekend.
Scottie, I know you're really sore about last year, but personally I think the Royal staff does a great job running a 500 team contest.

Couldn't agree more, Greg...Well said.
I've had issues at contests before too. It's bound to happen when you cook enough of them.

We're looking forward to being set up across the aisle from you and Eric and next to Kyle, Steph and Val.

It's not about how they run the contest Greg. It's about the treatment of the cooks. My problems only grew after the contest. That was solely on the CEO and his BBQ Coordinator.

Back