Gyros, blow by blow - vertical spit

Zippylip

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I love Greek food & wanted to recreate more closely Gyros that I might find in Greece so rather than some combination of ground lamb & beef I went with sliced pork shoulder (which I will slice thinner next time) topped of course with homemade tzatziki, sliced red onion & tomato.

The vertical spit:

001.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

008.jpg

The ingredients:

012.jpg

013.jpg

019.jpg

018.jpg

Construction:

022.jpg

025.jpg

Cooking:

032.jpg

033.jpg

Slice down periodically to expose the interior meat:

036.jpg

037.jpg

048.jpg

All ready to build the sandwich:

055.jpg

039.jpg

042.jpg

Last edited:
You sir are a genius
Did you consider sliced Lamb instead of Pork?
Any cooking details
I see the Shoulder is from West Chester Penn, the land of QVC.
Say hello to Rick from my wife, and Lisa from me ;-))

You sir are a genius
Did you consider sliced Lamb instead of Pork?
Any cooking details
I see the Shoulder is from West Chester Penn, the land of QVC.
Say hello to Rick from my wife, and Lisa from me ;-))

thanks, and as far as the choice of meat goes here’s the story. I’ve been a huge fan of Gyros since my college days nearly 30 years ago :shock:. The typical Gyros are made of some combination of lamb/beef together with seasonings & breadcrumbs & highly processed into a paste, then compressed into the cone you see in pizza places & other restaurants twirling around on the vertical spit. Following some poking around I learned that in Greece that is not the way they’re done, rather, it is thinly sliced pork so I thought I’d give it a try. It’s my understanding they also use chicken. In the end processed or sliced, I enjoy it either way & with any kind of meat, it’s all good.

As for the cooking details, I sliced the butt thinking I’d pound it to about ¼ in thickness (didn’t happen, that stuff doesn’t want to pound out without a sledge hammer, next time I’ll slice it thinner to begin with). Dunked in vinegar then seasoned with salt, pepper & oregano then stacked up in a container for about 2 hours before harpooning with the spit. I went at 400 degrees with lump only, no smoke. I removed the entire assembly about every 30-45 minutes to slice off the exterior allowing the slices to remain in the pie tin to cook a little further then it was removed it before the next slicing, that process was repeated multiple times until the meat was all gone. All in all it was on the egg about 3 or so hours.

what a Great (and cheap) Idea !!!

I'm going to make myself one also..

but thinking a more permanent solution -

* get a solid steel (non-galvanized) rod with some threading on both sides..
* grind the top of it and sharpen it to a point..
* instead of the Aluminum disposable dish I'll take a teflon coated pie dish for easy cleanup !

thanks,

:thumb:

That looks like a tasty twist on tradition. A little thought combined with an appetite for BBQ goes a long way

Back