Flame issue with deep fryer

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I need some advice on this turkey fryer. In other words, should I buy a new one? (this one was free)

1. I can only get a yellow flame (no blue at all) and in order to get the oil to 350 degrees I have to have the flame roaring up the sides of the pot. The fire couldn't get hot enough to maintain 350 when the turkey was in and I fried my turkeys at 275 degrees.

2. About 5-10 times during the frying of 2 turkeys fire would come back out of my air intake valve near the black propane hose. I would have to shut the gas off and relight the burner each time. Sort of scary.

3. During my fry not only did the pot become crazy black with soot but it appears that either paint or the black enamel of my fryer support legs were chipping with burnt black chunks. These chunks were falling to the ground. You can see this in the photo below.

4. The next day I took the burner apart, expecting to see some sort of clog, and I see no obstruction. Gas can freely flow.

What the @#%$ is wrong with this fryer?

Attachments

• junk.jpg
    junk.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 141
If the flame is yellow/orange instead if blue, its getting too much oxygen. Did you try closing the air intake some? The one that had flames coming out of it... when i take apart/clean the burners on the restaurant range they have the same type of air intake and sometimes need to be closed/opened some to get an optimal mix of oxygen and natural gas(or in your case, propane). hope this helps.

If the flame is yellow/orange instead if blue, its getting too much oxygen. Did you try closing the air intake some? The one that had flames coming out of it... when i take apart/clean the burners on the restaurant range they have the same type of air intake and sometimes need to be closed/opened some to get an optimal mix of oxygen and natural gas(or in your case, propane). hope this helps.

Yes, I messed with the air intake.

Closed --> yellow
Open --> yellow

so annoying!

Yes, get a new regulator. Then you'll have a $10.00 cooker.

bugs/spiders crawling into the regulator end of the hose will cause this also...

I agree with fishhook. Blow out everything with some compressed air, around here dirt daubers and spiders are the main culprits. I've had this happen several times.

Absolutely has to do with the orifice size. See if the mfg has a spec sheet on the burner - it may have two orifice size options - one for LP and one for natural gas. They are different. If the incorrect orifice is installed - and it's not adjustable (typically not), then you may have to replace it with the correct size. The air flow damper is for fine tune adjustment - this only works if you have the correct orifice / gas combo.

I have to disagree. Yellow flame is not enough oxygen. Blue is proper oxygen. Flame appearing out away from the burner and eventually even blowing out is too much oxygen.

Back