Fat side Up or down, the poll.

C

ckkphoto

I am curious about how the water pan affects the results with a brisket.

In order to answer correctly, I had to add an option...

Couldn't answer accurately so chose either way. I do fat cap down, but it depends on what cooker I am using if there is a water pan or not.

Fat down with water pan, baby.

this is what I was thinking...the fat cap would seem to be a necessary heat shield when using sand or no water, but using water IME has kept the bottom from burning. When my water pan rusted a hole, I had to start cooking fat down (yes I flip halfway). So I decided to run the poll and see if there is a correlation between water pan and up/down preference.

tommykendall said:
You forgot an option - "mine sucks every time I tried"

That was the case for me pryor to finding the Brethren!

Sod goes green side up, brisket cooks fat cap down. If only every thing was so simple.

Neither!?!

actually if im only doing 1-2 whole briskets I trim almost all the fat off, maybe leaving 1/8" - 1/4" on it. Where ever there is heavy fat I will hack it out put on the rub use a waterpan and when I add fuel I will also spray with whatever concoction I choose. My therory which seems to work, fat will only melt off so much, therefore you have a finished untrimmed brisket with 1/4" of seasoned fat over meat. Most dining guests logic " O' fat lets cut it off and not eat it" ok now that seasoning is wasted and your meat is only half seasoned. but by leaving a small amount of fat it melts away marries with seasoning and is deposited onto the meat still leaving "fat moisture" during the cooking proccess. I almost never put in foil and have a moist and firm (Not tough) finished product. Although last time after 6 hrs I put into foil for 2hrs then out again for 1hr, results were very good just on the verge of falling appart but still remaining intact. I prefer not to have my brisket fall appart that should be left for pulled pork. Just my 2 cents

RE: Re: RE: Fat side Up or down, the poll.

That was the case for me pryor to finding the Brethren!

Heck, I didn't even know what a brisket was before I came here. I had heard of it but never had any.

Fat down/no pan because my large cooker has no water pan. When using the WSM I do fat down/pan with water.

I voted fat down, no water pan since I've olny cooked briskets in my CS, and it doesn't have a water pan. I have on in the freezer. I'll try it on the WSM in a few weeks.

Back