Buying New Smoker - Need Advice!

Could I use actual wood instead of charcoal, like in a stick burner?

It is not recommended, some of tried with mixed results. It's best to use charcoal and wood chunks.

So if you really want stick burner, it wouldn't be for your. It would be another charcoal cooker so might not be interested.

Wait, you already sold your Pearsall? Seems like yesterday we were just talking you into buying it. These kids grow up so fast...

It's well known on this forum that I hate Yoder so I'll offer up an alternative at least as something for you to look into.

Check out GrillaGrills.com They make pellet grills and they also sell a ceramic cooker. Very good company with some great people and they are rapidly making a name for themselves. Their Silverbac is $700 (includes shipping) but you're only about 4 hours away (they are in Holland, MI) and you should be able to fit the box in a normal sized car or SUV. There's quite a few users on a Facebook GrillaGrills owner forum who have them in your area where it's super cold and people really seem to be enjoying them and having good success.

They also offer the "Grilla" which is a very uniquely designed pellet smoker that people love for its heat retention and how well the drafting system pulls the smoke over the meat.

Anyways, you said you were "all ears" for reasonable options and I think it's at least worth checking out before you drop double the money on a Yoder product.

Good luck with whatever you choose and there's definitely some good advice in this thread. Cheers!

The local dealer will deliver in our metro area for free. But I'm also paying full retail plus his shipping costs from Yoder, so in the long run, not sure how good a deal it is. I've never price shopped for Yoder's anywhere else. If anyone's familiar with typical Yoder prices from local dealers, I'd be interested in hearing how my local dealer compares.

If you do find it cheaper online with shipping he'll potentially match, he did for me. Nothing he can do on sales tax obviously

Obviously if I found a grill not carried there or better priced elsewhere, loyalty only goes so far

I know your almost at your decision but if I was in Minnesota with their winters, I’d be thinking insulated Vertical

Meadow creek there is a dealer in New Richmond Wi. St Croix bbq.

Wait, you already sold your Pearsall? Seems like yesterday we were just talking you into buying it. These kids grow up so fast...

I think it was too much too soon. And townhouse living and harsh winter didn't help. It was not much fun.

It's well known on this forum that I hate Yoder so I'll offer up an alternative at least as something for you to look into.

Check out GrillaGrills.com They make pellet grills and they also sell a ceramic cooker. Very good company with some great people and they are rapidly making a name for themselves. Their Silverbac is $700 (includes shipping) but you're only about 4 hours away (they are in Holland, MI) and you should be able to fit the box in a normal sized car or SUV. There's quite a few users on a Facebook GrillaGrills owner forum who have them in your area where it's super cold and people really seem to be enjoying them and having good success.

They also offer the "Grilla" which is a very uniquely designed pellet smoker that people love for its heat retention and how well the drafting system pulls the smoke over the meat.

Anyways, you said you were "all ears" for reasonable options and I think it's at least worth checking out before you drop double the money on a Yoder product.

Good luck with whatever you choose and there's definitely some good advice in this thread. Cheers!

I will definitely check them out and I do appreciate the idea. I'm actually 8.5 hours from Holland, MI, though so it'd have to be a great deal with shipping.

I will definitely check them out and I do appreciate the idea. I'm actually 8.5 hours from Holland, MI, though so it'd have to be a great deal with shipping.

You're absolutely correct on the distance..guess I had a brain fart. haha GrillaGrills does "jungle pricing" so the price you see on the website (plus tax of course) is what it costs to ship to your door. If you did decide to pick it up they pass off the saved shipping costs to you with a bunch of swag and some bags of pellets to get you started.

If you're interested in the company here's their unofficial "Owners/Fanpage" on Facebook. It's a good group of people although some are a bit overzealous about the product. Good thing is that all the common issues people have when they transition to pellet cookers have been addressed a few times, so if you did have any issues just make a quick post and usually within 10 minutes there's a solution posted.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/823247501112140/

...and you should be able to fit the box in a normal sized car or SUV.

Yeah, Yoder won't fit in a box. It also won't fit in your normal sized car or SUV. If that's an issue, you should look for a better cooker somewhere else.

You're absolutely correct on the distance..guess I had a brain fart. haha GrillaGrills does "jungle pricing" so the price you see on the website (plus tax of course) is what it costs to ship to your door. If you did decide to pick it up they pass off the saved shipping costs to you with a bunch of swag and some bags of pellets to get you started.

If you're interested in the company here's their unofficial "Owners/Fanpage" on Facebook. It's a good group of people although some are a bit overzealous about the product. Good thing is that all the common issues people have when they transition to pellet cookers have been addressed a few times, so if you did have any issues just make a quick post and usually within 10 minutes there's a solution posted.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/823247501112140/

Thanks so much! I'm actually very interested now that I've looked at their website. My only concern is: what am I losing by stepping from a Yoder to this? I wasnt even going to consider a Traeger, and it seems like that's the category Grilla sees themselves in. I don't want to get in at the Traeger level on pellet smokers.

From a stickburner to a Pellet grill.? I'd add a charcoal n wood chunk smoker too.

Thanks so much! I'm actually very interested now that I've looked at their website. My only concern is: what am I losing by stepping from a Yoder to this? I wasnt even going to consider a Traeger, and it seems like that's the category Grilla sees themselves in. I don't want to get in at the Traeger level on pellet smokers.

To be fair I've never heard anybody say anything bad about the Yoder pellet cookers outside of the very light smoke flavor. I believe it has a PID controller (Brethern, if I'm wrong, please correct me) and that will lead to a much tighter temp control, but on the flip side you're going to see less smoke flavor. I've watched a lot of videos about the YS-480/640 cooker and too often I see the Amazen Pellet tubes inside the smoking chamber. If you're paying ~$1500 for a cooker you shouldn't have to add a tube like that to get the smoke flavor you want.

GrillaGrills goes with the motto "trust the swing" and by the swing they mean a reasonable swing in temperature. There is no PID controller on their cookers so it's a bit more like an offset in terms of fluctuation... generally people are reporting a swing of about 10-15 degrees in either direction. I will also add that GrillaGrills has a built in air-gap for insulation, and I think that brings a lot to the table and especially so when you're cooking up in your neck of the woods. Looking at the YS-640, Yoder will charge you an additional $250 to buy a thermal jacket which might be a necessity for you.

Either way I totally understand not wanting to go with a cooker that's at or near the "Traeger level" of quality. As always it comes down to cost versus features. I'm not trying to sell anything but I always like for people to explore their options before dropping a huge amount of cash on something. Good luck either way and I hope it works out for you when you do make the decision.

Cheers!

I am going to agree with Evil-G on this you need an insulated vertical. Anything else you are going to have to work to keep your temps up.
Backwoods has some nice ones. Reasonable prices and 1 year warranty.
I would highly recommend a 270 Smoker but they are out of your price range. I got my Sumo right as they were doing away with them. They are starting at a little more than $1800 for the 270 Hollywood.
In your price range I would say Backwoods and Humphreys are your best bet. I am not a fan of Humphreys but many people are very happy with them.
Stumps has some cheaper models but are very small. Quality for sure. Just small.
I would go Backwoods followed by Stumps (if you don't mind small. They have big ones but they are expensive) Humphreys if you can find a local dealer in stock and can look it over in person.

I hate when people say this but if you hold out a few months you could get a 270 Smokers Hollywood and have a nice size cooker that is welded.
I totally get not being able to go above a certain amount. I really think a Backwoods Smoker is the way to go if you can't go above $1500.

To be fair I've never heard anybody say anything bad about the Yoder pellet cookers outside of the very light smoke flavor. I believe it has a PID controller (Brethern, if I'm wrong, please correct me) and that will lead to a much tighter temp control, but on the flip side you're going to see less smoke flavor. I've watched a lot of videos about the YS-480/640 cooker and too often I see the Amazen Pellet tubes inside the smoking chamber. If you're paying ~$1500 for a cooker you shouldn't have to add a tube like that to get the smoke flavor you want.

GrillaGrills goes with the motto "trust the swing" and by the swing they mean a reasonable swing in temperature. There is no PID controller on their cookers so it's a bit more like an offset in terms of fluctuation... generally people are reporting a swing of about 10-15 degrees in either direction. I will also add that GrillaGrills has a built in air-gap for insulation, and I think that brings a lot to the table and especially so when you're cooking up in your neck of the woods. Looking at the YS-640, Yoder will charge you an additional $250 to buy a thermal jacket which might be a necessity for you.

Either way I totally understand not wanting to go with a cooker that's at or near the "Traeger level" of quality. As always it comes down to cost versus features. I'm not trying to sell anything but I always like for people to explore their options before dropping a huge amount of cash on something. Good luck either way and I hope it works out for you when you do make the decision.

Cheers!

Yoder actually says their controller is not PID. They have their own controller that they have designed in house, with their own programming. Although, I find nothing wrong with PID, and there are some good cookers out there that use them. I guess saying having an inaccurate controller, is a good thing, might convince someone, but Really? I don't think temps swings of 20 degrees is going to hurt you in anyway, but it isn't going to help you either. Not sure why you would try to sell temp swings as a good thing. If their air gap was working, you shouldn't have temp swings like that.

Yes Yoder, does sell an insulated cover, that is very nice, and very over priced. It does work, and I like mine. But, if you don't want to pay for it, you can do what people have been doing for years, and cover it with a welding blanket. I have done this on stick burners even. Why fight cold wind, when you can avoid it? Yoder gives you the option of buying their custom fit cover, why is that bad?

As far as smoke flavor, I believe Yoder has the reputation of one of the heavier smoke producing pellet grills. That is why I bought mine. I like a heavier smoke. Do I use a smoke tube, absolutely! I don't understand why people consider this so bad. First of all, it gives you the opportunity, to add different wood accents, to your cook, without having to mix your pellets. I like to run Hicory in my hopper for most cooks, but sometimes I will put a smoke tube full of cherry, mesquite, or Jack Daniels pellets, to add color or flavor. On short cooks, I might put one in, to supplement smoke flavor. But honestly if you are doing low and slow cooking, and cooking for long periods of time, you don't need to supplement the smoke. If you are a hot and fast cook, then yes a tube is necessary to get a more pronounced smoke flavor, but who cares? If I use a stick burner, I use charcoal to get a good bed of coals. If I use charcoal, I add wood to get more smoke flavor. Why not use a smoke tube in a pellet grill to get that flavor you want? Just saying.

I have no connection to Yoder, or any company, but I feel, they sell a great pellet grill. I think most people that have done their research would put Mak, Yoder, and Memphis at the top of the pellet grill market. If you like the Yoder, and the price is your only concern, I would look at Blazin Grill Works. They are very similar to the Yoder, but a little cheaper. I have cooked on my YS640 in sub zero temps with a -20 wind chill, with no problems. I do have the insulated jacket, and that is not a typical winter day here in OK, but it will do those temps. Up where you are, I would certainly not rule out an insulated cooker either, just a matter of they style of cooker you want, and how often you will be cooking in those temps.

From a stickburner to a Pellet grill.? I'd add a charcoal n wood chunk smoker too.

I know, I get it. But I'm a full-time seminary student right now with two part-time jobs and 2 kids under 3. I don't exactly have stickburner kind of time to devote to making BBQ....

Three years from now I'll be singing a different tune. For now, gotta do what I gotta do to keep some kind of BBQ going.

Cheers!

I get what you're trying to do, and I very much appreciate it. I have done some work checking out Grilla for no other reason than your input. Thanks for taking the time to help a brother out!

Back