Is a Weber smokey joe useless

Evil-g

is One Chatty Farker
Aside from building a mini? Backstory is I searched Cabelas for a Jumbo Joe and it came back with the Smokey Joe Premium for $49.99 which I did not notice and immediately ordered. When it showed up today I was disappointed as I thought I had the Jumbo. Checked back with Cabelas and input Jumbo Joe again and it came back with with the Smokey Joe. My mistake. I’m trying to decide if I should keep it or send it back. My biggest drawback to keeping it is I can can find one used on Craigslist everyday for $20.00 bucks or so. There are 3 in my family and it may be a little small.

What say you?

Attachments

• AC063348-63DA-4474-8DE2-06E965C798E2.jpg
    AC063348-63DA-4474-8DE2-06E965C798E2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
No, they are not useless. Yes, you should return it and get the one you want.
Good luck.

The jumbo Joe is more useful, imho. I have both. The premium is different... the air intakes are high on the side of the charcoal bowl... makes for serious underperformance. I had to add a vent at the very bottom to get it to work well.

Last edited:
I have one and other than camping trips etc I think it’s useless. Mine doesn’t draft well. You have to leave the lid cracked to keep the fire going. Mega small and so on and so on. I wanted an OTG and now have a big case of buyer’s remorse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have one that I used to make into a mini WSM. I had a project I worked on for about six weeks where I lived in a Holiday Inn Express. It was in Hinesville GA and restaurant choices were not good. The only decent places always had impossible waiting times. A buddy of mine and I literally used my Smokey Joe Gold to make every dinner except for probably one or two the entire time. Between that little grill and the microwaves in our rooms we ate pretty good. We didn’t make anything very fancy but the little Smokey Joe Gold earned its keep. The big advantage was that it was super easy to keep clean. I’d dump the ashes at the end of the night and put the grill in my room. The side vents really don’t work very well so heat is limited but it’s plenty to make chicken breasts, brats, pork chops, or burgers not to mention veggies to go with them. For camping or tailgating it’s not a bad choice. For any regular grilling tasks there are definitely better choices.

Return it. They are not useless, but Jumbo Joe is much more versatile. You'll have a lot mor accessories available and will appreciate the larger size Grate.

Everything has a purpose. I'd gladly take one. If you want to tailgate or take it fishing its solid. Plus you could absolutely smoke a fatty in one...

If you did not intend to buy it, and you don't want it- sure send it back. It'd be the same for anything - socks, shoes, watch, folding chairs, coffee maker... anything.

Some folk fully consider a purchase, buy the thing, wait for it, get it home - and then send it back even if it was what exactly what they wanted at the time.

None of these apply to you. Ship that puppy back and get what you really want.

I have one and am not impressed. I also have a jumbo joe and thought I'd get the regular one for when I'm cooking for just myself. MEH, I use my WGA for that now and the small one was given to a friend.

Absolutely NOT worthless!
We are four and I have cooked many many steaks, fajitas and two very large chicken halves, 5lb+ at a time on mine. If you learn how to use it properly it is a very good little grill when you don't need to cook alot of bbq. Very efficient imo. When done cooking I close the vents then relight next time I use it again.
However! If it's not what you wanted or feel will suit your needs then by all means, return or exchange it, they are $29.95 at Walmart, Home Depot ect.
I own four Webers of different sizes and all of them cook great.

Its not what you wanted. Send it back.

I had one its junk imo. The wga is my go to tabletop grill.

I have one and am not impressed. I also have a jumbo joe and thought I'd get the regular one for when I'm cooking for just myself. MEH, I use my WGA for that now and the small one was given to a friend.

Oh yea go anywhere for the win

I like the Smokey Joe but it doesn't compare to the Jumbo Joe. I can cook for 4 in the Jumbo with space to spare.

I'd return it and get the Jumbo.

The current favorite seems to be the Weber Go Anywhere. After returning the SJ, you might look at one of those.

Last edited:
Back