Chicken Thighs

Roby

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey brethren, what do you guys like to do with chicken thighs? A buddy has some he wants me to smoke up with him tomorrow and was just wondering how you guys go about preparing them and what temps you guys run?

Thanks, Roby

I usually give them a light coating of olive oil and sprinkle them with a good rub that is heavy on the garlic. I happen to like garlic. Then I cook them at 220* and use apple wood for smoke. I also happen to like apple wood.:-D

I agree Moose. I did that for the first time a week ago after I read about here. What a pain! It does make a nice bite through skin. I've never had that before. I did find that a plain old soup spoon does a pretty good job.

I do thighs a lot. They're very tasty and hard to screw up. My standard technique is to trim them, apply a rub between the skin and the meat (pepper, paprika, red pepper, salt, ...), and let them sit in the fridge for a few hours. I usually do them at about 300 degrees. Lower than that and the skin will end up chewy. I take them off when they reach 160 degrees.

Love 'em! Coat in a little canola or olive oil, hit em with some rub and then indirect at 300-350 until almost done, then toss em on sweet baby rays and on for another 15 min or so. Can't go wrong.

Me i go a little different. First i deskin them, then coat in some rub. I smoke them about an hour with cherry wood, then put on a little curly bbq sauce and reverse sear.

I like to brine mine over night, then hit them with some greek seasoning, and on to the UDS for about an hour. Turn out great every time.

DSC01044.jpg

Even better when you throw some mac & cheese on with them.
DSC01065.jpg

Love me some chicken thighs:becky:

I like to cook mine at 350° for a good skin. If I cook them lower and slower, I generally toss them on the grill for a while to crisp up the skin afterwards.

high heat is the way to go. Lately I have been lazy, I use a generic pork rub and then throw em on indirect on the kettle till they are done, if I am feelin fishy I will dip em in either wing sauce or bbq sauce.

They also go awesome in tacos or enchiladas. After they are cooked through, I let em cool a bit then debone and prep the taco/enchiladas.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118286

breast and wings low and slow cause the skin is pretty forgiving, but thighs are a differant story. i usually scrape the fat and cook at 250, but if lm lazy and dont scrape then i cook at a 350 to make a nice skin. if you dont scrape the thighs then you can bring your internal to 185 that will help with the skin

Thanks for the answers guys. I got an idea of what I'll do and post some PrOn later tonite or tomorrow.

Thanks again everybody

I noticed a couple of you mention coating them with olive oil before the rub. I'm just wondering, is the purpose of this just to make the rub stick better? Or does it help crisp up the skin? If it's to help crisp the skin, or to make the finished product juicier or something, we might give that a try.

If you want bite through skin, very lightly oil the skin, what oil you use is not a big deal its just to make the seasoning stick. Cook around 230/250 and at about the last 15/20 minutes before done put them in a foil pan sprayed with pam or something similar, lay on some sauce if you want them sauced, cover with foil and finish.

For a crisper skin, if you have the time put them on a pan uncovered in a fridge for at least a couple hours or overnight, unseasoned and patted as dry as you can get them. Just before putting on a hot grill 300/350 season them and don't put sauce on them or they may not have a crispy skin. I prefer to go with the bite through skin method myself.
Dave

I trim them up to get the big globs of fat off, rub them down with my rub of choice then do them raised direct in the 300 - 325 range to crisp up the skin. Love thighs.

Back