Coleman Hot Water Machines

Chipper

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm not 100% on it, but it looks like the Coleman Hot Water machines are off the market. I have seen lot's of teams using them and am wondering if it's a good idea to pick one up used, or is there a better alternative.
Now that the season is over for us, it's time to get some upgraded stuff.

Thanks

Where did you hear they're off the market? Here's thier site, and here are the heaters.
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=2200

We love ours, with one exception. We got it at the beginning of this year, and all but one time when using it, I've had an issue with the battery terminal connection where I have had to take out the battery, disconnect, and reconnect it, or the thing doesn't turn on.

Also, be sure to read the whole instruction book. One of the surprises is, if you have the charger plugged into the unit, it won't turn on. Other than that, it's a great addition! Certainly better than the turkey fryer and 30 qt pot we used to use!

They have had lots of problems with those over the years. I have had two and while you can make adjustments to make them more reliable I'd go with something else.

We got ours prior to this season and have loved it! Not a lick of problems...

Also, be sure to read the whole instruction book. One of the surprises is, if you have the charger plugged into the unit, it won't turn on.
We did read through the book and couldn't find it at all. It took us 2 hours to figure that one out! Between you and I, I think it's a squirrel conspiracy!

I like mine when I get around to hooking it up at contests but have had two issues. First, be careful with the knob. You have to push in to turn it on and if you break it the whole thing needs to be replaced (which they did for free so not too bad).

Also, I bought the adapter to connect a hose directly to it but it was mainly plastic and the pressure blew it apart right away so now I pull water from jugs. Anyone ever get the adapter to work?

Also used the shower attachment once when we had no gas in the house so that was an added bonus.

That's good to know about the hose adapter. It's one of the things I was going to put on my Christmas list but now I'm think otherwise...

As for the shower hose, we were thinking that it would work well for rinsing prior to and after washing...

That's good to know about the hose adapter. It's one of the things I was going to put on my Christmas list but now I'm think otherwise...

As for the shower hose, we were thinking that it would work well for rinsing prior to and after washing...

Yeah, it doesn't run long before the water cools off but definitely works for rinsing. That was after 3 days with no gas in the house.

Are these units potable? Meaning do they meet the requirements for drinking water?

Chipper, I saw a few teams using the eccotemp l5 for hot water, I am going to try it and see, especially if I can adapt it to the small propane bottles, then its pretty portable.

Eric

Chipper, I saw a few teams using the eccotemp l5 for hot water, I am going to try it and see, especially if I can adapt it to the small propane bottles, then its pretty portable.

Eric

I've had 2 Eccotemp L5's - they have been PERFECT. Zero complaints. You can find them on ebay or overstock for right around $120.

I had one that was several years old that broke, Coleman had me a new free one within a couple weeks. They have something like a 10 year warranty. I used it for 6 competitions this year before having to recharge the battery. They are handy.

Also, I bought the adapter to connect a hose directly to it but it was mainly plastic and the pressure blew it apart right away so now I pull water from jugs. Anyone ever get the adapter to work?

I bet it would work fine with a pressure regulator in place. I use one at places with high water pressure (like Harpoon). (I don't use the Coleman, but the concept is the same.) Here is just one example that can drop pressure to 25 PSI. (Most homes are in the 50-70 PSI range.)

http://www.amazon.com/Water-Pressur...B5BW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1287684396&sr=8-5

First, be careful with the knob. You have to push in to turn it on and if you break it the whole thing needs to be replaced (which they did for free so not too bad).

You're luckier than me, then. On the very first competition use of it, we broke the knob. Coleman would not cover it under the warranty, and after I complained and complained they finally sold me one at "half" price. But it was half the list price and they still insisted on charging me shipping. The total came out to very nearly what I originally paid for it on Amazon. Once this one breaks, which I know it will, I'll go with something else.

--frank in Wilson, NY

Wow, we bought our 1st one in 2007, had warrenty issue about 18 months in, just would not heat...sent us a new one, same issue 2 months ago, just sent it in about 6 weeks ago...they are on back order, but are supposed to be sending it by end of October, just hope I get it by the time Acorn rolls around 1st weekend of November.

They did want the turn knob, hose and picture that the unit was destroyed...Think this was sufficent proof?

IMG_1134.jpg

Wow, we bought our 1st one in 2007, had warrenty issue about 18 months in, just would not heat...sent us a new one, same issue 2 months ago, just sent it in about 6 weeks ago...they are on back order, but are supposed to be sending it by end of October, just hope I get it by the time Acorn rolls around 1st weekend of November.

They did want the turn knob, hose and picture that the unit was destroyed...Think this was sufficent proof?

IMG_1134.jpg

That's awesome! I just unscrewed the case on mine. Still have some usable parts.

I've had 2 Eccotemp L5's - they have been PERFECT. Zero complaints. You can find them on ebay or overstock for right around $120.
Can you use this water heater without a pressure water supply? Will this work from a 5 gallon bucket with gravity?

I have and used one for sale

I have one with all the attchments and the carring bag used for one season then we bought an rv and don't need it any more PM me iff you are looking for one:thumb:

Can you use this water heater without a pressure water supply? Will this work from a 5 gallon bucket with gravity?

Yes it has a pump on it. I just drop the pump in a 5 gallon bucket and it's good to go.

When I get home I will have to upload my pic. I sent them a pic with my truck on top of it. What's funny is the case was really the only thing damaged after I backed off it.

I called them this morning to see if I needed to stock up on parts and the rep said they are not discontinued and remain a popular product. As long as you follow a few rules yours should last a while
Rule one - upgrade the power supply
Rule two - never plug or unplug the power supply to the water heater while the other end is plugged into the wall. This can and will short out the power adapter.
Rule three- never let the unit charge for more than three hours. This can cause overheating of the power adapter.
Rule four- be sure to use very clean water in your water supply bucket. Sediment will kill the submersible pump.

Back