Have You Purchased a Used Egg?

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
After a year or better of watching so many of you getting your hands (one way or another) on used Eggs, I was wondering ..... just why the previous owners were getting rid of them? What's the story?

Some of the deals are fantastic...... Are the sellers upgrading to a larger one, moving to a different style of cooker, moving or what.

Just curious.

I think a lot of upper income people buy them because they hear or read that a BGE is one of the best pieces of equipment you can buy. Then, they find out that they're not really that interested in cooking outside if it's going to take work. So, they ditch them and buy big fancy stainless steel gassers. Just my 2¢.
-Bret

The first one I bought was from a young couple. They bought it, used it a couple of times, and then told me they just didn't like the way it cooked. When I picked it up they had the firebox in backwards!!! I wouldn't have like the way it cooked either!! I sold that one for a handsome profit.

The second one was a guy who said it took to much time. I used it for a few months and sold it for a really good profit as well.

The third one was an XL. The guy was moving to Colorado and said he could buy a new one for what it was going to cost him to ship it. I ended up trading this for a large in a large table and the girl gave me $200 to boot.

The fourth one was an older medium. It was in really rough shape. The guy said his FIL had given it to him and he had never used it.

I am really happy with my medium and large but I search CL everyday for deals just in case!

The people I got BGE from were moving and didn't want to deal with it. A couple of the Kamados I've acquired I asked why they were getting rid of them and some of the replies were, they were too much hassle or they didn't have the time to use them.

I think mine was a divorce/get even situation... I mean a Large BGE for $150????

She claimed that she couldn't handle all the smoke that came off of it.

It had a very worn table, and was missing the plate setter and the grate. I picked up what it was missing along with a new nest for less than $100 and she has worked great ever since....

I think a lot of upper income people buy them because they hear or read that a BGE is one of the best pieces of equipment you can buy. Then, they find out that they're not really that interested in cooking outside if it's going to take work. So, they ditch them and buy big fancy stainless steel gassers. Just my 2¢.
-Bret

Exactly how I got mine, a large bge, a small, and the table. All for $195 on Craigslist, he and his wife (the owners) are university professors.

I got a medium and a mini. The lady's husband had passed away and she was a vegan!

The large I bought, the guy was using a gasser. The Med, Tom wanted an XL.

I think the economy has a hand in it also. People are strained from gas and food prices. More people are selling things they don't use or need.

First egg was a medium that the guy needed cash and he was not impressed with the wqy it cooked but kept it around for 10 years.
Second egg was a large that a vagatarian couple (politically correct term for lesbians) wanted to get rid of because they were moving from Fresno to Alameda and could not have a BBQ on the wood deck at their condo complex. Egg was two years old.
Third egg was a rescue out of the santa Cruz Mountains before the fire. The guy claimed he was moving back east and wanted to get rid of it, more like he barely used it and it is only a year old.
fourth egg is an adoption out of Huntington Beach where the previous owner states he uses his large more than his small and is only one year old. He used the small more than anyone used my eggs that I have gathered and it cleaned up well inside after yesterday's long hot burn.
My fifth egg was actually picked up at the same time as my third but I picked it up and had a deal hammered out with a friend of mine that I sold it to for enough to pay for 1/2 of my third egg and pay for the gas to pick both of them up. He still made out like a used egg bandit. I could have made an additional $150 profit easily but decided to share the wealth instead.
Folks buy these eggs and do not have what it takes to really BBQ and are happy with the immediate available flame of a gasser. In the end we have to be thankful for these ambitious yuppies that were able to make these eggs available to those of us, that can't afford them new, at a great affordable price!
I admit that I spent close to $900 on a stainless steel Costco gasser that now sits covered in retirement. My wife won't let me sell it because it is the only one that she knows how to fire up to burn steaks & chicken on when I am out of town. I have a little over that in my four eggs and I am set till I find another to turn for a slight profit.

My Medium was bought from a guy in Down town Dallas. He said he was moving from one condo to another due to a rent hike. The condo he was in was on the ground floor so it had a small fenced in yardett. The new place was on the second floor so no outdoor cooking allowed. The Medium was six months old the inside was still tan. The guy said he never really figured it out anyway. It had an egg pizza stone with grill marks on it. No plate setter he tried to cook a pizza direct.
The large Ty found for me. It was sold with a house (Ty correct me if I am wrong) The new owners didn't know what to do with it. It's an older egg, but very solid. The inside had patent pending on the inside. Looked like it was not used much.

When I bought mine the people said they are getting older and did not want to move the BGE to their new home. Just too heavy for them. I was more than happy to move it to my home!

My wife brought mine into my life. Her ex loved it, so she took it in the divorce. He was a cheating bastage, so I don't feel sorry for him.

I mentioned to my brother-in-law that since mine came with my wife, it was free.

He quickly corrected me and reminded me that mine was more expensive than anyone else's because it will cost me every penny I'll ever make for the rest of my life. Ouch.

He quickly corrected me and reminded me that mine was more expensive than anyone else's because it will cost me every penny I'll ever make for the rest of my life. Ouch.

That's true about each of my cookers, and i bought them!

i've only bought one used egg, unless you count the three i've gotten at eggfests, and the used one i bought i sold for what i bought it for to my friend. it was on craiglist for sale and she said it was her X boyfriend's. i asked her if he would be chasing me down the street! :biggrin:

The last Med BGE I got was used once last summer. The guy bought it to smoke some ribs but them moved in with his elderly sister. She had a gasser and said that was sufficient and that the egg was taking up space in the garage.

The first med BGE I got was used twice by a friend of mine who got it as a birthday gift. My friend likes to cook and grill and liked the idea of smoking meats. he tried to smoke and got frustrated trying to control the temps on his first attempt. A smoker is not a great idea for a Type A personality of the highest order.

A smoker is not a great idea for a Type A personality of the highest order.

Phil seems to do OK... :biggrin:

My used eggs both came from guys who bought them and didn't use them and their wives want the garage or deck space back.

My first egg was a medium. My second egg was a large. Broke the large so bought another large. Couple weeks after breaking the large, fixed it cheap doing some trading.....now three eggs: 2 large and 1 medium. Ended up selling the medium to thillin, never used it. Sold the new large to a fella in MO. He was in TX visiting. Used the money from the medium and large to buy an XL..... so now have one XL and one large......good combo!

T

Back