How do you eat a fatty?

Any condiments on those?

LE7Mbmr.jpg

I always season with coarse pepper, then a layer of a BBQ rub so that it builds a bark while smoking lo-n-slo for 2.5 to 3 hours. You will be surprised at how much fat you will render out. I cook to an internal of 155°-ish, then wrap in foil for at least an hour before slicing. The temp will creep into the safe zone.

kQHD5wG.jpg

Use a screen to avoid the fatty sinking into regular grates.

xThysis.jpg

My favorite sauce is a local jalapeno dipping sauce, that just happened to score first in category at the American Royal "Best Sauce on the Planet" contest a few years back..., but anything you like including mustard based sauces are fine.

PS - If you want to roll your own fatty, you can buy the plastic tubes used for packaging groud meat, or just use some clear wrap (and twist it tight) then let sit in the fridge for a couple of days for the sausage to firm up.

GD8Tw.jpg

I need to try one of these! They look great!

So in its most basic form is just a packaged breakfast sausage like Jimmy Dean and on to the smoker it goes after rub?

I need to try one of these! They look great!

So in its most basic form is just a packaged breakfast sausage like Jimmy Dean and on to the smoker it goes after rub?

Bingo.

Now, for me.... If I buy a sweeter breakfast sausage log, I'll use a spicier rub combination. And when I buy a 'hot' breakfast sausage, I'll go with a sweeter rub. I don't like the Jimmy Dean 'Sage' or 'Maple' varieties but buy the 'Original' and 'Hot'. The house brand from Albertsons is pretty good. The logs freeze really well, so I'll look for the sales where you buy 2 and get 1 free.

Well damn you All!

I went down the rabbit hole by reading the link to the tutorial for naked fatties that @LLYU370 posted, and well, I have one now on the smoker along with my chuck roast!

Likely lunch snack for today.

Last edited:
Back