We're In The Bacon!

Great post Bluey! I've wondered the same thing and guess I've been waiting for a post like this! Thanks!

I'm thinking about starting some Bacon this weekend and I just wanted to know if it would be alright to cure in the fridge? The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking my fridge might be a little cooler than what you had mentioned, or I guess, is it that critical for curing temps to be where you had them. Thank you very much for creating thiz thread, your timing couldn't be more convenient. I hope you understand my ?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm thinking about starting some Bacon this weekend and I just wanted to know if it would be alright to cure in the fridge? The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking my fridge might be a little cooler than what you had mentioned, or I guess, is it that critical for curing temps to be where you had them. Thank you very much for creating thiz thread, your timing couldn't be more convenient. I hope you understand my ?

I made a drying locker out of a small commercial freezer using an inline voltage regulator with a digital control. I can set it where I want. Before I had that tho, all my curing was done in the fridge, next to the beer n' such. I never had any problems. As I understand it, ideal curing temps are 36°F to 40°F. Below 36°, the curing process will slow down, and possibly stop.

I always use my basement fridge

contents-

beer.

nightcrawlers.

meat.

I cure mine in the beer fridge for eight to ten days. Then hot smoke at 200 for about 4 hours.

Thank you for the quick replies, I am going to have to use my fridge, at least this time anyways. I think I am going to adjust the temp back to try and get the higher desired temps. It's my garage fridge and all we really use it for is beverages anyway. Thank you again for all the help

Back