What's good to throw in my new deep fryer?

I've always been pretty partial to deep-fried chicken wings, myself. Chicken-fried steak, too; Cook's Illustrated has a really good recipe.

smokeypig said:
buy 4-5 12 pounders, inject with garlic butter mixed with worschestershire(that ain't how it's spelled, but, dang it, you get the picture) sauce and crystal hot sauce. rub down with your favorite cajun rub and drop them thangs in 375 degree oil 3.5 minutes a pound. good eats for sure...

but then there's something better - sticky finger wings. use drummettes only. the bigger the better. smoke them thangs with oak, apple or hickory heavy for about 1 1/2 hours, but only after letting them soak overnight in a bath of olive oil, rosemary - and lots of it, salt, cracked black pepper, some red pepper if yer so moved, a bit of basil, some rubbed sage (not much - a little goes a long way), and a bit more rosemary - ya want the needles all over the wings...

then, drop them wings in the fryer basket and put it 375 oil for no more than 3-4 minutes. if you like, take one out, let it cool and give it a taste. if they're ready, then take the basket out, drain, and put the wings out with a bowl of your favorite home made or store bought bbq sauce. i have been using either sticky finger's bourbon barbecue sauce - sweet!! - kicked up with a little bit of crystal hot sauce, or with jardin's pecan hickory sauce - also texas sweet barbecue sauce.

the crispy, smokey flavor of them wings is just freakin awesome.

LOL@Smokey.....I was talking about frying up turkey testicles.......

Solidkick said:
Turkey fry.....pricy, but excellent.......

I like just frying turkey parts. Legs thighs & wings. Get them fresh. Get a turkey boob every so often. Takes a whole lot less peanut oil.

Fried mushrooms, jalapeno poppers & slices, breaded Cheese curds or any good cheese, fish, hushpuppies, bloomin onions, hot dogs (cut a small slit spiralling from end to end), artichokes, raviloi, smoked sausage and egg rolls. Even seen deep fried ribs , oreos, twinkies. Any kind of meat, chicken fried steak especially.

That should keep you busy with the others listed above.

Ty

Solidkick said:

Mr. Kick
The only place I was ever had a chance to partake of "turkey fries" was at a country club in St. Joe, MO a few years ago while in town attending seminars.
I loved the things--Me and the group of guys I was with ran the kitchen out, and I think we ran the bar out of beer too.:grin:

How about a bloomin' onion. If you think it'll be good fried try it.

Solidkick said:

ewwwww!!!!

stone mountain oysters? Not in this life!!!!

(trying not to gag mod here....)

Loking for this Recipe

BBQ_MAFIA said:
Calamari Fritti ( Fried Squid )
Arancini Di Riso ( Italian fried rice balls)

Almost everyone has eaten Calamari and when cooked correctly they are outstanding.

Arancini are basically stuffed deep fried Risotto balls. These are a true treat.

Enjoy!
Guido

Have you got a good recipe for Arancini Di Riso ( Italian fried rice balls)
I spent 6 years in Souther Italy and it is one of the foods I enjoyed but did not get a good recipe for.

My favorite thing to fry is crawfish tails. Roll`em in heavily seasoned flour first. Serve`em with a spicy creole mustard sauce.

If any of you have ever been to Little Italy in NY. The old style of hot sauce on fried seafood. Calamari, shrimp, soft shell crab, scalops, oysters, etc (just seafood in flour). All great stuff with that type of sauce. My version is better than the one`s they serve now, and close to what they used to serve years ago before too many tourists complained about how hot it was.

Peanut oil is key to both of these.

That reminds me of something that I haven't done in a long time! We used to take fresh salmon and cut the fillet into pieces that are about 1 1/2 inches on a side, bread them (we used Shore Lunch brand) and then deep fry for just a couple of minutes (since they are small, the salmon cooks quickly). Serve them with a spicy ****tail sauce.

Ron_L said:
That reminds me of something that I haven't done in a long time! We used to take fresh salmon and cut the fillet into pieces that are about 1 1/2 inches on a side, bread them (we used Shore Lunch brand) and then deep fry for just a couple of minutes (since they are small, the salmon cooks quickly). Serve them with a spicy ****tail sauce.

****tail sauce.

Looks like Ron got moderated.

Ron_L said:
Serve them with a spicy ****tail sauce.

Here is a good one:

C0CKTAIL SAUCE RECIPE

1 bottle (12 oz) of Heinz chili sauce
1 to 2 Tablespoons of Kraft Prepared Horseradish
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper

Whatever you do DON'T get the horseradish SAUCE. It HAS TO BE "Prepared Horseradish"

Start with 2 Tablespoons of horseradish and stir all ingredients together well and chill in the refrigerator. This makes about 1-1/2 cups of sauce. If you like it a little hotter, add a little more horseradish. A little less hot, add some more chili sauce.

Keep it well covered in the refrigerator and it should be okay for a couple of weeks.

We use Prepared Horseradish and Ketchup together. The Horse Radish was fresh From Illinois none of this store bought chit.

icemn62 said:
K side up or down:?:

Ks naturally float up.

Last thing i fried in turkey fryer was some speckled trout and some boudin balls.

Arancini with the meats & cheeses in it sounds amazing!

Kevin said:
****tail sauce.

Looks like Ron got moderated.

Been out all day and just saw it! Now that's pretty funny! Let's experiment...

****adoodledooo
****roach
Joe ****er
Don't go off half ****ed
Spatch****ed Chicken

Last edited:
Back