sitting out tonight cooking mystery meat

F

fullback3233

Went to the grocery didn't see any shoulders then saw something that said picnic shoulder ready to cook. When I opened up smelled like ham, so now I'm outside cooking it prepared it like a shoulder cooking about 225 to 230. Am I doing right? Any suggestions would be helpful. In uncharted waters but getting wet anyway:laugh::laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here I posted this on the other thread too.

Sounds like you got a picnic shoulder. I have smoked them before however they are not as good as the Boston Butt. The picnic has a higher percentage of ligaments, tendons, connective tissue, etc.

mystery meat

It was wraped in mesh under the outer wrapping and why the ham smell?

Was it cured? I find them more often than not that way. I use it (uncured) to make "ham" and split pea soup. It's good, but difficult to pull and is firmer and hammier than the blade cut.

It was wraped in mesh under the outer wrapping and why the ham smell?

Around here they are labeled as Picnic Hams. It's a front shoulder (picnic) cured like a ham (hind quarter) would be. I use them for bean soup in the winter. It will smoke up fine but, it is already cooked and you are reheating it and adding some real smoke flavor. It's all good.

If it a smoke picnic they pretty good to smoke and slice like a ham.

I'm sure it smelled hammy because it was cured. No problem there. +1 on using with beans.

Back