THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kbeasley

Found some matches.
Hi brand new to the forum and to the bbq world. Until a couple of days ago I had only used a propane grill and the occasional portable charcoal grill while camping (with matchlight briquettes):icon_blush:

We purchased a Vision kamado style grill and I took it for a couple of test runs the last few days (steaks and chicken breasts.) Today I am making my first attempt at smoking. I was hoping I give you a run down of what I have done and the plan for the rest of the smoke and get some tips and feedback. I realize that mistakes may have already been made (and I don't mind if you point them out) but I just got my membership approved so I am hopping in here mid-stream.

I have some turkey legs and beef short ribs going. Kind of a weird combo, but the ribs have been in the freezer too long and I wanted to make the most of my smoking time. I have it sitting between 225 and 250 (dome) with a stone heat deflector plate. The turkey legs were prepared using these instructions http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1997/04/turkey-drumsticks.html?m=1 with a little all-purpose bbq rub put on as well. The short ribs just got some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. It has all been going about 2 1/2 hours. I am/was planning on doing the 3-2-1 method with the ribs. My family prefers their ribs fall off the bone tender so I think that may be the way to go, but PLEASE let me know if you suggest something else.

I am planning on waiting to serve the beef until tomorrow. Any suggestions on the way to make them their best and not like obvious leftovers? If I want sauce on the ribs would you suggest putting it on during that last 30 minutes tonight or wait until I heat them tomorrow?

How about turning? Do you turn things when you are going low and slow? It is killing me not to open and peek at my beautiful meat cooking in there but I assume it is best not to open more often than necessary?

I am sure I will have a million more questions and I have already learned so much just browsing this forum I am excited for what I will learn. Just a side note. I called Vision's customer service this morning and I was SUPER impressed with how helpful they were. The guy I spoke to was able to answer several questions that were beyond the product support I expected.

Thank you for any and all help and tips you want to give me.

One more question on the 3-2-1, in general. When you are on the wrapped in foil stage does it work to use a disposable aluminum pan covered, tightly in foil or is it best to just wrap in foil?

When I joined this forum, the first rule I took to heart was "if you're lookin' you ain't cookin'. Now I live by it. With the turkey legs, I think you really want to go by the internal temp, and they will be done before the shorties. I have minimal experience with the short ribs, but you were smart just using spog for seasoning. My personal taste is not to sauce them. The meat on those bones is just too good to mask with a sauce. Leave em on till you can easily poke a probe in them.

For ribs i just wrap them tightly in foil. Never used a pan. You want to keep it tighter than a pan would because it will create a lot of steam in a pan and effectively steam the ribs.

As for everything else, the #1 thing I've learned about smoking meats is to have some patience. These meats take at least a couple of hours (chicken) and up to 10+ hrs (brisket).

Just relax. Have fun. The more you cook the more you will learn. I've learned a lot from the forums but I've learned the most from cooking and experimenting.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi kb. I'm just a bonehead and most everybody here is betting at Q'ing than I am but...I find that 3-2-1 is better with a little modification. I do more of a 2-1-.5 kind of cook. 2 to 2 and a half hours at about 240-250 degrees then wrap with apple juice and do about an hour, then start cranking the temp up to about 300 or so during the last 10 or 15 minutes. Then unwrap and lightly sauce at about 10 minutes per side flipping 3 or 4 times, saucing each flip. For more fall off the bone ribs then increase the time while still wrapped to 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. They can get very soggy after 2 hours in the foil.

Just my 1/2 cent. This works for me and I am still learning. Others have their own ways that work for them and they are extra super good at this smoking/q'ing thing.
HTH

EDIT: Just saw you were looking for "short rib" info. Kindly disregard my post until maybe, someday in the future, you might maybe want some info on spare ribs. (I'm an idiot) :) :redface:

Last edited:
First off, you're going to get a lot of people here telling you that you don't need to cook that low and they're right, but at the same time there's nothing wrong with it either if that's what you like. Just don't fight your cooker if it's struggling to stay down there. Let it roll where it seems easy to keep it stable.

NExt 3-2-1 is just a guide, and not one i really have seen used for beef ribs. Although, I'm sure it works all the same. If it were me, for beef ribs, I'd just let them roll no foil throughout. Just cook them to probe tender. But, yes, you can use a pan and cover it up.

Next, don't worry about the meat. It's doing just fine. No need to spin or turn the meat. Keep it closed as much as possible, sit back, enjoy some beers and relax. That's what BBQ is all about.

Another tip, take notes on your cooks. As awesome as this place is, your own info is the best you can get.

Thank you guys for the quick replies. I forgot to add that the other reason for having the beef tomorrow is I knew I wouldn't be able to get it done in time for hungry people tonight and I didn't want to stress about how long it was taking. I just wanted to experiment and enjoy it. I will start checking the turkey legs temp in a few minutes. The recipe estimated 3- 3 1/2 hrs but obviously drumsticks vary in size. I am guessing they will be done bit early for dinner so then I get to figure out the best way to keep them warm. But, as long as I have an excuse to stand outside with a beer on a nice day I am a happy camper!

Agree on cooking the legs to temp and the rest to tender (as long as tender is above USDA temp standards) - I cooked turkey legs last night and at a hotter temp (like 340) they were done in 45 minutes and I pulled them at 166 degrees. They were smokey and delicious.

Well, let the legs go a little long. They are reading 188. Live and learn. Sure won't be the first time I fed my family dry meat. They still love me. Now to decide how to keep them without getting soggy skin for the next 1 1/2- 2 hours. Would include a pic of the progressbut not sure I can do it from my phone.

The easiest way to upload pics is to host them on photobucket and use the tags to post here.

For the beef ribs don't stress the 3-2-1 so much, that's usually reserved for pork spares. I'd let them get a good crust then wrap tight in foil for the remainder. You're looking for about 195-205 on them, and the only way to tell when they are done is to probe them for tenderness. A thermometer or skewer should slide into it like butter.

With the kamado it's more important than any other type of cooker not to open the lid because the rush of air is worse than opening the intake and exhaust 100% and can cause the temp to spike up. They are not the easiest to run low and slow so don't freak if it climbs to 300 or more, just try to manage it with the vents. I use an oven thermometer in mine so I can peak through the exhaust vent for grate temp rather than using the thermometer in the dome.

The legs were good, not great. But, I learned a few things. The little bit of the ribs I tasted tonight were pretty tasty. I'll share the pics I took. Not because it was picture worthy, but so I can look back and see my progress as time goes along. :thumb:

Legs ready to come off (beyond ready) and the ribs with some time to go yet.
20150826_160924.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20150826_160926.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here are the ribs all done.

20150826_184814.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back