Ham Hocks and Beef Fatty Today!

thunter

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
A little while back I bought a 1/2 hog. The only thing left in the freezer was a couple pork chops and a couple of ham hocks. So I thought I would fix my daughters a good meal and experiment with something new at the same time.

This is ham hocks. I mustard slathered and rubbed them last night so that they would be ready for a Sunday smokin'. I have never done hocks before so I had no idea what would happen. Threw them on the smoker for 5 hours over oak wood and they came out completely awesome. I sliced the meat off of them and they served 4 people. Very tasty! :)

This is my Cheese-Stuffed, Bacon-Wrapped Ground Beef Fatty. All I can say is OMG!!!! :thumb: I used 2 lbs. of fresh ground beef from the 1/4 I just bought. I put a couple of slices of this on a bun and had the best bbq bacon cheeseburger ever!

Ham hocks, eh? I love 'em in pea soup, but I've never tried any other way. Thanks for the great idea!
Fatty looks might tasty too. Needs to try me one of those fatties...

Ham hocks, eh? I love 'em in pea soup, but I've never tried any other way. Thanks for the great idea!
Fatty looks might tasty too. Needs to try me one of those fatties...

Next time, I am going to smoke a couple of them a throw them into a pot of collard greens. I'll bet that will be tasty!

Dang that looks and sound good Tony! I love smoked ham hocks in hoppin' john. :-D Nice job!

Love ham hocks and collards also.

Oh, and the idea of eating fresh smoked ham hocks is new to me. Sounds good though.

Next time, I am going to smoke a couple of them a throw them into a pot of collard greens. I'll bet that will be tasty!

You got the idea now Brother. They will go great with any greens. Collards, mustards, or even spinach or turnip, even kale. A nice addition is cubed potato chunks to the hocks and greens. They will also make smokey HOCK love to a pot of pinto or even better.......black beans, black eye peas or better yet.....a 15 bean mix. Toss in a whole onion, a whole garlic bulb, and some s and p, maybe some cilantro..............that's a whole meal in a pot in pot right there. If you use the BE Peas, boil the hocks for a while by themselves. The peas cook up faster than the beans and by the time the hocks soften, the peas will be mushy, still good eats, but mushy. So do the hocks first.

Dayuum................now you got me hoooonnnngggrrrrryyyyyyy, Tony!

I'd hit all o dat fo sho!

Bob

Tony---I remember you from way back at that the other site. Do you remember me........T-Rex? Nice to see ya over here!

Last edited:
Looks awesome. I'm going to have to try slow smoked hocks without the veggies and beans.

Looks great brother T.!
Nice smokering on that Phatty!:cool:

Thanks Everybody! I like trying new things so this was a fun cook. Of course I get all these crazy ideas from y'all! :laugh:

Back